Asperger's Syndrome Community
Another question?...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Another question?...

Okay, another question from me. You all have been so helpful with great responses. The reason why I asked if it happens a lot in the same family is we also have an 8-year-old daughter. She responds to things differently than my son, but now I am beginning to wonder about her. She cries daily over things she gets frustrated about. She has a lot of trouble with motor function. She does not seem to have any sensory trouble like her brother though. The only thing I have noticed with her is that I always ask her if she has to go to the bathroom. It is almost like a little sway she does that looks like she has to go. They actually tested her at school with OT and found that she is borderline, not enough to get any help. Her handwriting is horrible, she still can't ride a bike and with much trying just started tying her shoes independently 2 weeks ago. I have been paying more attention lately to her behavior. She is definitely my little professor. She knows so much about nature and her all time favorite topic is Ancient Egypt. She writes incredible poetry that brings tears to my eyes. At this stage the other kids I think shy away because she just seems so smart, she spills off info to them and they are like "what are we supposed to do with that information?" She has a horrible time with math just doesn't get the concept, but is 2 grades ahead in reading and comprehension and can spell anything. She has such trouble with other kids. It's not that she doesn't get them, they just don't get her. Luckily, she has made friends with 2 little girls who are equally intelligent and they play nonphysical things, which she loves to do, singing, making up plays etc. This is the first year she has had steady friends.

Our son starts his full evaluation next and I think we might get her done too. Does this sounds like Asperger's? She doesn't have the sensory issues really though. Or possibly nonverbal, or maybe it is just the way she is made! Thanks for your input.
Autism is a spectrum.  Everyone is different.  She doesn't have to have the sensory issues to be on the spectrum, and you don't have to be diagnosed as Autistic/Asperger Syndrome to be on the spectrum either. I have many AS tendencies--sensitive to smells, sounds, touch, like things to be the same, very "black and white", etc.  If I were to be tested, I would probably not be diagnosed as AS.  What I'm trying to say is she  has many of the AS tendencies, so you will have to deal with the issues whether she is diagnosed as AS or not.
I think all you can do is raise your concerns.
As already said she may be Aspergers, or she may have traits of Aspergers.  It really is on a scale and at some point there are so many characteristics and behaviours that it tips the balance and gets the diagnosis.  
In cases like your daughter they may be too capable to get the support in school, however they still have the underlying difficulties.  For example, if you find it hard to socialise you find it hard to socialise full stop.  Why deny a child support that could be useful to her just because she isn't severe enough?  So you will still have to deal with the difficulties she has and any supports or stategies school puts in place will probably be the same as they would use for a child with Aspergers or Autism.
Regarding the physical clumsiness.  Have you considered Dyspraxia?  Or, although you say she has no sensory issues, the sense of balance (vestibular) and proprioception are responsible for balance and co-ordination.  So she may well have sensory issues but in those areas and not the more typical ones such as noise and touch.  If she appears to have problems understanding if she is thirsty/full or doesn't appear to understand when she needs the toilet or goes to the toilet frequently, these are all internal sensory functions that come under proprioception.
Thanks for your answers again. I didn't think of it that way. I guess she does have some sensory issues with the motor function. Spectrum or not, I just want her to be able to hold her head up high and be a confident young lady. She has so much to offer the world. She is just starting to realize how mean people can be when you are outside the box a little. I'm so proud of the little girl she is and want to help her feel good about herself. To me, being outside the box is way more special than having to conform to what everyone wants you to be. We'll get her tested too. It can only help and can't hurt a thing. Thanks again.
I would like to know the same thing. My son 7 years will be 8 in December and was diagnosed in July with Asperger. I have noticed my 3 year old daughter has some of his same traits. The sensory to hair and some of the way she plays. Both even have constant accidents in their pants.  If you find out if it runs in family will you please inform us?
Again, I would raise my concerns with her paediatrician.  There is some evidence that if you have one child on the spectrum (or even other disorders such as OCD, ADHD, Depression, Mental illness, Developmental Delay, Tourettes etc), that there is a higher than average chance that another child will have some disorder or characteristics of a disorder.
There is also the possibility that she is copying her brother.  But if it were me I would raise my concerns.  If she is only copying it will be evident that all is okay when she socialises with other children her own age at nursery and school.
If both your children have sensory issues I would recommend reading a book by Olga Bogdashina called Sensory and Perceptual Differences in Autism and Aspergers.  She also has two children on the spectrum herself.  Her book has a caregivers questionnaire at the back which you can complete to get a sensory profile of your child.  Our Autism Department uses that questionnaire for all parents to complete, so it is reputable.  You can also google her name and read an article by her in Autism Today.  You will be quite amazed at how many 'autistic' behaviours turn out to be down to 'sensory differences'.
Yes, it definately runs in families.