Asperger's Syndrome Community
Are we on the right track?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Are we on the right track?

My son always says his feet hurt. We can be shopping or actually doing something that he "should" be enjoying, but this comes up every time, among many other things such as emotional outburts, etc.  We had a consultation w/ his absolutely wonderful pediatrician, and after entering the information that we gave him, he said that more than likely  it is Asperger's syndrome and mild ADHD (which is what we were told it was before).  
So our next step is to see a specialist in Lubbock, TX and do blood work to check for lead levels.....?  I am so overwhelmed and concerned and I want to do the right thing.  Does it sound like we are on the right path to finding out any answers?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know what you mean about lead levels, unless you think that's the cause of his aspergers? Do you have lead paint in your house?

Some people think there is a connection between toxic chemicals and autism. Other people don't. I sit on the fence with that matter.  If it's his feat that is bothering him I'd attack that first.  It could be the foot problems are what are causing some of his outbursts.

I know it did for me...  If you wanted to see a 24 year old have a 2 year old tantrum (last year) just let me try to shop to the point I just couldn't take another step....  I felt like I was stepping on burning rocks or something... So yes I had a big fit... But out of it I learned a very important lesson: Don't ignore what my body is trying to say...

This may be part my autism and part my obsessive nature, but when I'm bend on doing something, I can get so focused I just ignore pain, body signals that tell me I'm hungry/tired, etc...
It's different than feeling no pain... I just tune it out...  Picture you're shopping at your favorite store, they have a huge sale, and you don't want to go home.

At some point it's inevitable I will have to pay attention to my body, or it will scream at me...  One of the best ways to avoid a meltdown or "emotional upset" is to not only notice those things, but to take action before it gets to be a desperate situation.
-----------------
If you're son is crying and telling you his feat hurt, chances are he waited too long to tell you.  I don't always think to tell people it's time to go home...

Other things: going to places:  I like to schedule ahead of time what day I'm going shopping.  I can do spur of the moment, but unless it's something I really want to do, I will probably feel like, bleh, I don't wanna go...  It feels like a lot of work to go some place without a plan.  But it can be done better if I know or plan a day ahead of time that I will be going to this store and that's what I am doing.
------------

As far as the aspergers goes, see if you can nurture some of the gifts likely has along with it.  Does he seem very detailed focused?  Does he have an area of interest?  Maybe that can be a motivator to get him to do some of the less pleasant things.
The Dr. asked if we had ever lived in a house that was 30+ years old.  My husband had bought a house when he was 22 yrs old, that was built in 1955(ish)....and it was a "paint for down"...where you paint inside and out instead of having to pay down payment.  This is where he spent the 1st year of his life. Also, my mom's house...which you would never know by looking, was built in the 60's I think....so that's why he wanted to check his lead levels.  He spends a lot of time there.
I know everyone my age grew up with lead paint everywhere....and we turned out ok....well.....sort of :)
His feet hurting maybe a sensory thing.  My son always had problems with wearing socks and shoes because they bothered his feet.
Does he have other sensory issues ie covers ears at noise or appears deaf, appears clumsy, spins or seeks movement, avoids or complains of smells or tastes, always wears his hood up or a cap to cover his eyes from sunlight, has to wear certain clothes and tags have to be removed?
My parents live in an old 30+ some year old house which my sister grew up.  That house had been painted over, but in some areas the lead paint still showed up on a test. The closets seemed to have remained painted the orginal color...

Why is it the walls were painted wierd colors like green and pink back then?  Okay that's off topic....  My parents were afraid to test my sister for lead.  If you feel concerned you can try. ADHD isn't always the result of lead poisening though.  If you have any relatives in your family which I gather you implied with the "sort of"  that have tendencies, that may give a clue.

The foot pain could be sensory, or it could be like I described.  I like socks without seams.  I don't like any socks that bunch up in my shoes... For a while I went on a strike, no socks... I still don't like the itchy tags.  The tag may not bother me for a month, but as soon as it makes me itch, it goes out....  I also steer clear from nylon like things.... Makes me itch like there are mosquitos walking on my legs and biting me (if it is pantihose)....

I prefer loose fitting clothes to tighter things.
If lead level is a simple blood test, why not do it.  Lots of people grew up with lead paint -- our parents generation.  I think it's only a problem if it flakes off the walls and the kids eat the flakes.  My daughter never was one for licking or eating things she didn't know was food or putting anything in her mouth.  It's hard enough now to get her to eat her meals (she has a bunch of texture issues).  But, I think some pediatricians do the blood test now for smaller kids since it is just a blood test.  It helps to know sometimes, just so it's one less thing on your mind as a parent.

I had a lot of foot pain as a kid because I had incredibly high arches.  My husband has incredibly flat feet.  Shoes are usually designed for people with arches somewhere in between.  I also have incredibly wide feet because of my incredibly high arch.  Making sure my shoes fit is essential.  My daughter has a very high arch as well and a wide foot.  I have always bought her Stride Rite since they have great toddler/preschooler shoes. Sure, they're more expensive (finding an outlet store helps).  Not sure if I will find another brand as she gets older.  But, I would probably not go buy a shoe from Walmart, Target, or any other similar store.  For myself, I usually buy European shoes (England and Germany seem to have a lot of good brands).  And my husband has to get entirely different things, since 1) he's a man and 2) he's got flat feet.  The European brands of shoes seem to last longer, have wider widths, and have good arch support. My husband generally spends about $150 on dress shoes that he wears to work.  They do last a long time, and they have great support for his flat feet.  Well, anyways, plunking down money on good shoes is essential.  I really have high high arches, and trust me, I have tried so many shoes out over the years.  I also hate socks.  Finding a sock that fits right, isn't too thick, and is all cotton (for me, I prefer cotton and I'm also allergic to nylon or to my sweat which nylon doesn't let you breathe well enough).  Everybody has their own preferences, so finding out what your son prefers is important.  Oh, and once you find a brand he likes and fits well on him -- sticking to the brand as long as it works (kids feet do grow and change) is a good plan.

hey west texas mom, i have an uncle in the dallas, fort worth area
i know that this is stresssfull, my 9 yr old has aspergers, so do i
the first step i had to take was to just accept the situation for what it is
yes my kid does things that other children and parents consider wierd or innapropriate
i have to remember that my child has a different way of looking at the world
so take a deep breath and relax, i have aspergers and i turned out ok, your son will be fine
my son has always walked on his tippi toes, this behavior has caused issues with the development of his bone stucture, does your son "perch" when he sits, or walk on his toes?