Asperger's Syndrome Community
Asperger Boy and His Dog

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Asperger Boy and His Dog

The Feds are suing a landlord in NYC for basically making it impossible for an Asperger's child to keep a dog.  As I have mentioned before - life in NYC - especially on the Upper East Side (where life is as close to perfect as humanely possible) - is not so easy for a kid with Asperger's.  

What is even more shocking is that there are people who have children and acquaintances on the spectrum who are also ridiculing the family for such a small accommodation.  One person claimed that her two children with autism were not helped by their family dog so why should this family in NYC get one - it wasn't here but on a newspaper board.  Of course, she went on about how much therapy her kids get instead.  How would she have liked a follow up that suggested that she have her tubes tied so that society didn't have to accommodate her offspring anymore.  Trust me, we have friends who keep producing Fragile X kids (they are up to 3 now) and people in the room actually cringed when number three was on its way.

All I'm saying is that as a community we need to be supportive of each other.  Our kids are not cookie cutter.  For some kids, a loving pet may help with the lonliness.  Another person was lambasting the parents because they felt they were looking for an easy way out instead of forcing the kids to make friends.  What it comes down to is that we have a pretty cruel society.  You should have seen the restrictions the building put on this dog - including that it had to be carried across the lobby, muzzled if it yapped, could never be left alone for more than 2 hours, it had to be under 10lbs, the parents had to keep a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy on it (because a 5 lb dog can do some serious bodily damage) - and then they sent the parents the bill from the lawyer that stated all these things.  

I for one applaud the family for fighting.  My son begged for a pet (an arrogant cat that doesn't interact much with us).  But the cat does spend time in his room, gives him a topic to talk to people about and Sam seems to like having him around.  I think a dog would have been more interactive but the kid was a cat person. My son makes his breakthroughs in many unexpected ways, and it is not always in a therapeutical setting.  People in NYC take their dogs to dog parks, walk them on busy streets and are very interactive with them.  the kid wants a Labradoodle - they are pretty friendly and people always want to see them.  Tons of people will come over to pet such a cute dog - instant social interaction.  
I'm glad I don't live in NYC because they would find it hard to accommodate me and my 150+ chickens, 35 ducks, 17 goats, 9 sheep, 2 turkeys (and two calves due in a months time!!).  Can't imagine carrying all that across the lobby!
But seriously, why did these other people feel the need to make negative comments and pass judgement on other peoples' business?  When you have a child on the spectrum you try anything to see what works.  And anything that makes a difference academically, socially or in their self esteem is worth it.
As I said, I was more shocked about the comments from people who had "friends" on the spectrum or whose kids were on the spectrum.  the child is very bright and has won the NYS chess championship (so did my husband - and he wants to blame all the cookiness on my side).  At 11, he is very lonely and wanted a friend.  

As i said, I ams o surprised that this building acted this way.  NY is usually a very accommodating city for people with disabilities.  

And that is why we are buying a condo instead of a co-op.

What????!!! Wow I've never heard of that.  I had to look it up to find more out on it:
****.***

I hope the family wins the case.
Okay that's annoying I can't post links to resources any more...
He should have gotten a bunny rabbit to spite them.  Bunnies can cause more damage than dogs.  Bunnies can chew lots of things.  And poop all over the place if they don't manage to become litter trained.  
Oh, Labradoodles are also allergy friendly -- they don't shed because of their poodle parent and are friendly because of the lab parent.  That would mean no hair over the house and a dog who wouldn't bark that much.  
The child has already picked out a Labradoodle puppy - they are awfully cute.