Asperger's Syndrome Community
Asperger's boy has a problem with fine motor skills

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Does anybody have a Asperger's teenager whose find's fine motor skills difficult in a way that he seems clumsy eg; spilling drinks, generally very messy in the kitchen, bad hand writing, quite bad at football?  He has alway's been like this and still no improvement since he was young boy...
It maybe that he never get any good fine motor skills and that one may better try to make the best out of it. I am nearly 30 (and aspie) and haven't improved anything on my fine motor skills, but I don't make that much out of it.
Thanks for your reply, I have 2 sons with Asperger's and the oldest is different to the younger one in that his motor skills  and gross motor skills are alot worse eg: walks with large gait, also claps with a large gait. I was just wondering why this is........As suppose to the fault on the x gene or just putting down to that he's more on the spectrum as he is quite bright at times but does have some learning problems as my other younger son is very bright with less motor skills problems but he still has them to. I suppose as they get older they will both improve slightly but for now especially the older one he worries me as he is extremely unco-ordinated.
I often walk straight into the wall when trying to move through the open door beside the wall, and I don't place cups and vessel etc near the end of the table or on the same table as my computer since I very often hit them when trying to reach for it or another thing. I can't clap with my hands in rhytm because of my bad coordination and in football I end up kicking all other things than the ball often.

Bad motor skills are not an official trait of Asperger syndrome, but are often seen, which may be the reason of the difference in your sons. Instead of trying to improve all kinds of traits in Asperger syndrome, it often works better to develop compensatory strategies to manage them.