Asperger's syndrome post brain tumor removal?
I am new to the site and I am researching information regarding my son. At the age of 4 he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor (Ependymoma) He had 3 brain surgeries, radiation and a shunt place. That was 12 years ago, and althuogh we were informed about the side effects we feel that there is more going on. He has learning difficulties and cataracts in both eyes with a mild hearing loss, some balance issues etc... But we were always told that these were typical side effects of his brain tumor and some effects would lessen with age, as his brain developed and other parts of his brain could learn to compensate for the damaged areas. But there was always something more, He never has friends, eats alone, is clueless how to approach or carry on a friendship (he is in high school) and has never even gone to a football game with the guys etc... very organized and exact, the list goes on, but can be rude or disrespectfull (not on purpose). Someone at special olympics asked us when kyle was diagnosed with AS- we said never that he had a brain tumor..So we started looking into the symptoms etc.. and were amazed to be reading about our son. The problem we have now is everyone thinks we are crazy and I was wondering if anyone has any advice about not just diagnosis, any related research in the area etc.. I just want kyle to have the best treatment possible so that if he does has AS or even just the tendencies he can receive the best treatment. Thank you so much for your time and appreciate any information..
Blessings,
Lori
greetings

this does indeed sound like aspergers syndrome but there may be more to it than that.

you would need to see an educational psycologist and get him statmented or a similar prosess if you are in america.

also it may not be a bad idea to get a pet for him may be a gunnipig or a quiet dog these animals exert a calming influance and help teaching all sorts of things. also you cannot be cross round a pet because they can sence emotion to - I have aspergers syndrome and grew up with pets you may find in time he will change and look after the pet- this can then be used to give constructive comands like the dog is sleepy he needs to go to bed - he would then follow - have seen this done and read about it also - it works!

every blessing
a-R
I know your post is old - how is your son ? this is a support group for parents of survivors and for children in treatment and for parents that have lost their children too. My son had anaplastic ependymoma at 8 mo old - its a scary road but glad support is out there. here is my sons story http://www.*********.com

God Bless Angelia

http://www.*************.org