Asperger's Syndrome Community
Asperger's syndrome post brain tumor removal?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Asperger's syndrome post brain tumor removal?

I am new to the site and I am researching information regarding my son. At the age of 4 he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor (Ependymoma) He had 3 brain surgeries, radiation and a shunt place. That was 12 years ago, and althuogh we were informed about the side effects we feel that there is more going on. He has learning difficulties and cataracts in both eyes with a mild hearing loss, some balance issues etc... But we were always told that these were typical side effects of his brain tumor and some effects would lessen with age, as his brain developed and other parts of his brain could learn to compensate for the damaged areas. But there was always something more, He never has friends, eats alone, is clueless how to approach or carry on a friendship (he is in high school) and has never even gone to a football game with the guys etc... very organized and exact, the list goes on, but can be rude or disrespectfull (not on purpose). Someone at special olympics asked us when kyle was diagnosed with AS- we said never that he had a brain tumor..So we started looking into the symptoms etc.. and were amazed to be reading about our son. The problem we have now is everyone thinks we are crazy and I was wondering if anyone has any advice about not just diagnosis, any related research in the area etc.. I just want kyle to have the best treatment possible so that if he does has AS or even just the tendencies he can receive the best treatment. Thank you so much for your time and appreciate any information..
Blessings,
Lori