Asperger's Syndrome Community
Bullying

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Bullying

This may sound strange as everything I've read online is how to help a child with Aspergers deal with bullying. My issue is I have a 4 year old daughter in preschool who is the victim of bullying by a boy with Aspergers. He chases her repeatedly, has pulled and ripped her clothing, constantly points and laughs at her for no reason...etc. The school claims to "shadow" this child and assures me there is no safety issue but I am not sure. Can anyone give advice or shed light as I really don't know much about Aspergers...I just know my daughter is being victimized.
I think as a parent your concerns are valid.  My daughter was in 4th grade when she had a coat ripped on the playground by another student.  I was quite upset and vocal about it to the administration.  I had been told ..quote..."boys will be boys".  I replied that I would have to repair or replace the coat and that they need better supervision on the playground so that this didn't become a regular occurence.  I said if there wasn't a consequence, it would be like saying it is ok to do this.  I wanted the parents of the boy to be made aware of what he had done.

In my case, my daughter was on the autism spectrum and the boy who ripped her coat was not.

Regardless of who is who, you want your child to be safe. Someone needs to do a better job of "shadowing" the young boy.  Has your daughter's behavior changed since this has been going on?  Is she showing signs of stress, or of not wanting to go to school?  If so, these would be things I would bring to the school's attention.  They are in the position of having to help both the young boy and your daughter.

From experience, those I know with Asperger's are not typically violent.  I would be interested in finding out whether this is a  new behavior for the young boy and if he does this to anyone else.  If only your daughter, why?  What about her is a magnet for him?  Is it what she is wearing, what she looks like, speaks, acts?  

my brother has Aspergers, and it sounds like this other boy is low functioning for an aspie. The teachers in these spec ed classes are often over whelmed and under trained. The school needs more aids and a better understanding of all ASD children. some kids in the spectrum have a real problem expressing what they want and a worse time of controlling impulses. in all honesty if this is PK and they are already showing this little concern i would put her in a different program if i was you.
This is not a special ed class. This is a local Kiddie Academy. There is only 3 weeks left of the year and I don't want to pull her out as she will go to public school Kindergarten next year.
I do not know if it is a new behavior. My daughter doesn't wear anything out of the ordinary from other kids. She doesn't have some strangely unique voice inflection or accent or anything. I asked that the boy be moved to another class but was told that is not possible. With 3 weeks left in school year I feel they are just trying to get through the last few classes.
I think what I really am concerned about is if this is a safety issue and if I need to worry about my daughter being hurt.
And yes Missy...this has caused my daughter to not want to go to school. She says she likes it but doesn't want to have to put up with the kid who bothers her.
As a parent, if your child is so disturbed by this that it is affecting her desire to go to school, you have a valid reason to go somewhere with this.  I learned that we had to advocate for our child which meant speaking up (not always so softly) firmly stating facts...win/win situation scenario's, etc.  Also becoming aware of the rights my child had (bear in mind that my situation is of one with a special needs child) but still either end, your child has the right to not be harassed, endangered, etc. to have her education in a safe environment.