Asperger's Syndrome Community
Can a person inflicted with Asperges can still become a doctor?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

I'm really introverted, and my college just started this program obligatory program where med students have to do a thesis and an oral presentation. I finished reading the manual, and it says that the judges will evaluate personality. Now I feel real down, because of this. Introverts are always looked down upon, is not my fault my genetic code is the way it is, I have no control over that. Is it possible to be an introverted doctor?
You should not be ashamed of who you are. I hope someone will be able to offer good advice. I too dislike it when people judge others by personality rather than skill...

If I remember one of us, my dad and I were at a confronce talking about that issue. All I remember is to not deal with the personaele department. Somehow you need to get into contact with the actual people so they can see your skills over your personality.  I wish I remembered the advice correctly... It's been awhile.

The other thing, I think it will help if you practice your speech a few times. As difficult as it is when giving the speech, pretend you are just talking to yourself or just one other person.

I’d assume when calm you have a great ability to discuss everything you know in a topic with relative ease, right?  Use that ability to monologue to your advantage.  This is when it’s is socially acceptable to give a good long monologue and show how much you know.  Practicing it beforehand in front of a friend or two may help you to keep on focus.

That will probably be your biggest challenge besides the nervousness speaking in front of an audience.
One thing I’ve heard is to imagine everyone sitting with nothing on but their underpants… If you can try to see that image in your head.  It’s an attempt to imagine the people as nothing more than just people. They aren’t any better or worse than you. In your speech you’re going to be the expert. Imagine they don’t know anything about what you are saying outside what may have been taught in the class.

I really hope this helps…
sorry for the typos... I forgot to spell check...
thanks for the advice, dont worry about the typos :). I have to start practicing some of this stuff. I'll post back and let you know how it went.
I hope it goes well. Try not to me nervous... If you stutter a little, don't dwell on it, keep going. I find interestingly I seem to notice my slight stuttering more than anyone else.
You are not 'inflicted' with Aspergers.  Your ability to study and concentrate on your areas of interest may actually give you huge advantages over the other students.  There are also many high functioning autistic and aspergers people who give seminars and talks etc.  
I am not on the spectrum, but I also find it very hard to speak in public.  But knowing your subject, practicing it infront of a familiar audience etc will help.
You can also write up cue cards to help you remember what you want to say and keep you on track.
As you are diagnosed with Aspergers it should be recognised that you may have problems with things such as eye contact etc.  Have these difficulties been recognised and will they be taken into account by those 'judging' you??
oh hell yeah nes...you can do it!!! i had a horrible time in school, my parents sent me all over the place to help me, everyone thought it was behavior but my learning disibilities did not suit the education that my parents wanted me to get, colligent private schools do not have special ed., i hated school and quit, eventually got a GED went to a 2 year college just to get into a 4 yr university, my guidence councelor called my parents after my last examine to come get me, i was stressed out, could'nt take it....so i swore off school
now after i had my first child i really wanted to be a paramedic, i tossed me fears away and finished top of my class, you can do it!!! i know you can, there are so many other respected professions in the medical field, you can also be a physcians assistant, all the responsibilities as a doctor, but you spend less money on school. anytime we are faced with something new it takes a minute to get over the fear of change, asp. girl and guys do not like change, once we get into the groove of something, we attack the responsibility without haste!!
I work at a Children's Hospital and we actually have a doc here that has been diagnosed as having Aspergers.
As far as I know, me and my husband come from very Aspeigeirsh families - we are both the products of NASA families - littered with engineers, mathematicians , physicists, and MD's with horrible, horrible social skills.   Hell, my family immigrated on the bring over on the WWII German rocket scientist program. I had an uncle who had one of the first patents for solar energy panels and he took his money to go live with an Indian tribe (took 100 vitamins a day) and went through 4 wives - brilliant but impossible, another who the military kept (as a scientist) after he blew off two of his legs in a household accident - was always antisocial and spent his days reading in cemetaries (pre-accident) so people wouldn't talk to him, another who never date (thinks Proust is hysterical but no one else gets the joke) but has a Phd in math and physics and works on Wall Street writing math models, another one in Greece who ocassionally teaches engineering at Stanford when he is in the mood (but prefers to stay home and write crazy articles to his newspaper complaining about inane things).  And last but not least, a close relative who is an ICU doctor - because her patients are her preferable type - unconscious - and no one asks a lot of questions when people are two breaths from dying.  Also, after about three days, they usually die or move on - no personal relationships there.  She did marry - but it isn't a normal marriage - both hit 40, they were best friends (he never dated either but is fluent in Klingon) and they both wanted children.  He spends most of his day reading nuclear reports - he isn't too keen on patient interaction either.  There are jobs in medicine where personal interaction is limited (radiology for example).  So far, the kids seem normal.  All I'm saying is that we have a strange group of Aspergeish relatives, all very good at what they do, with Phds and MDs.  Personable, no, but they are productive in their fields and make good livings.