Asperger's Syndrome Community
Diagnosis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Diagnosis

I recently stumbled upon an article listing the symptoms of Asperger's. My 7 year old son display's many of these symptom's, especially the sensitivity to noise, and the having a hard time when his routine is broken. I always told myself that he would grow out of it, but he hasn't.
He has been struggling in the second grade, having "meltdowns" (ie: crying, stomping his feet) when his teacher try's to get him to do something new.
My problem is that he is not like this all the time, and some of the other symptoms he doesn't have at all, or very little.
The question I have is how were your children diagnosed, and how do I approach the suject with my son's pediatrician?
I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Tags: diagnosis
Ask your pediatrician to refer your son to a child psychologist / psychiatrist preferably who specializes in ASD's. My son who is 6, saw an educational psychologist at school to start the whole process off  but we're in the UK.

My son also has his normal moments and his aspie moments. That's the thing with aspergers, due to their average-high intelligence, they learn to act normally much of the time. My son mainly displayed symptoms at school and while we were out and about. He is usually easy to handle at home it's where he feels most comfortable and has few social or sensory difficulties to deal with.

Good luck!