Asperger's Syndrome Community
Does a mildly mentally retarded adult with Asperger's need a guard...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Does a mildly mentally retarded adult with Asperger's need a guardian?

My nephew is 30 years old and now lives in a group home due to his increasing outbursts of inappropriate social interactions with women peers and staff and women in the public enviroment.  He was diagnosed just 7 months ago with Asperger's and has been previously diagnosed with Paraphilia NOS.  As the years go by he is regressing with conrol of his outburts that may one day lead to his arrest.  His is his own legal guardian.  His parents are not active in his life but I am.  I'm his paternal aunt.  I go to all his psychiatric appointments and ISP meetings and talk almost daily with him.  He's refused to take meds for years and no one could make him due to guardianship issues.  He recently took a low dose of a med that seemed to have escalated the obsession so we discontinued it.  Is this something that he just will not be able to comprehend the consequences of his decisions thus needing a guardian? He is easily swayed to agree with whatever people want him to do.
It would be a good idea for him to have a legal guardian. I work in a nursing home and it is so hard to help people who can not comprehend their choices or make poor choices because of their mental status.
at the same time i would like to point out we allow cancer patients to withold therapies that could save their lives simply due to the fact that they will it to be that way.  Just because someone is typically illogical doesnt mean there isnt a perfectly respectable reason they dont want medication and dont want to be forced it against their will.  The point I am getting at, be careful in forcing decisions upon him.  Not that I am making any assumptions about your intentions or what you are trying to do for him, and I wish you well that everything turns out well in the end.  I hear too many cases where people considered to be 'unable to comprehend their choices' are being forced into situations that make them miserable.
Your nephew does NOT have Aspergers, by defintion cognitive development and self help skills are unaffected in AS unlike in other forms of Autism, and since your nephew is infact mentally retarded it seems like he has been misdiagnosed, I suggest you take him to a properly-qualified psychologist for a full re-evaluation immediately!

I have Asperger's....