Asperger's Syndrome Community
Grownup Aspies and diet?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Grownup Aspies and diet?

Hi!

I have a boyfriend which is suffering from Asperger's. I heard somewhere that Aspies should watch what they eat, and keep away from grain and dairy, but then I found out that it mostly was for children. I am a bit confused, still, and I wonder if these dietary recommendations are still valid for a grown-up Aspie?

He is having some problems with bowels and stomach problems, but he keeps telling me they're not so often anymore, when I think he has an abnormal amount of these problems. Not extremely much, just more than normal.

I do study nutrition, so I wouldn't have any problems finding an alternate diet, low-dairy, low-grain, which still would be healthy and have all the important nutritious levels, so that won't be a problem. I just wonder if someone maybe has some experience with grown Aspies and diet. Is this something we should talk to a doctor about?
You must be a very sweet and caring person to help an adult with an issue such as diet.  I have read about these diet and the impact on behavior and bowl movements of children.  I do not know about adults.  But in the end, it is probably worth a try.  If you can get your boyfriend to try a non-dairy and gluten free diet, you can test it.  Even if you were trying these diets on a child, it is a matter of trial and error.  Some kids improve with the diets and some kids do not improve.  There is no scientific formula for this approach to managing autism, aspergers or adhd.  So, if I was you, I would google these diets and get a book from the library and try the diet on him for a few months. If his health improves, you know that it is working .  This is assuming that he is willing to try the diet.  Many kids do not want to stick to the diet and I am assuming that many adults will not either. The gluten free diet is very hard to maintain unless the person is very careful.  The dairy free diet is not as hard.  Good luck.
For myself, I do better temperment-wise when I am allowed to follow a good traditional balanced diet with low fat, and little red meat, and without simple sugars or fake sweeteners -- at very regular and predictable meal times. When I am prevented from keeping regular mealtimes or am confronted with spontaneous surprises from my husband -- "Let's stop at In n Out!"  (a fast food place that serves nothing but hamburgers, friench fries, and carbonated drinks), then I find myself knocked off my even keel.  I think predictability for meal times is the most important, frankly. I seem to be fine with almost everything in moderation -- caffeine, gluten, etc. -- except sugar. I notice a definite bad feeling if I eat chocolate candy or put sugar in something.
SInce your boyfirend has stomach/bowel problems, he may find switching to non dairy products made with SOY milk more easliy tolerated.

Also,be cautious with gluten-free diets. For any  person who does not truly need a gluten-free diet, the loss of valuable vitamins and minerals from these gluten-free diets can cause more harm than good.
i think having a proper diet is helpful for anyone not just aspies... and it is very sweet of you to be so caring and detailed...

but one thing, asperger's is not something people 'suffer from' in my opinion, it has already long been proven that its a neurological difference and not an illness or a disease... so just a little pointer, when in aspie company, we dont 'suffer' from sperger's we ARE aspies... like we are women or men, or italian or german...

good luck with the diet
I'm not on a gluten free casien free diet. I did not test positive for celiac and likely not gluten intolerant. Lately I've been trying to add more fresh fruit to my diet and try eat less microwave dinners and use more easy to cook meals with more vegetables and higher quality ingredients. Most of the time I try to cut back on bread and use rice as a grain.

Overall I am feeling less tired and a little more motivated, but that could also be because I was low on iron last year and early this year. I've taken supplements and now in the normal range. That may also have something to do with it. I do still have indigestion from time to time but I mostly ignore it. I may have to watch how much of some vegetables and fruit I eat, because those are things known to give people gas.
I know a young mom who has a 8 yr old and even though no dr will agree with her  she states her son has aspergers. He takes medication for adhd at night that calms him down a lot He is not very good at socializing and screams at adults.  He is allowed to do what he wants. I haven't ever seen him eat anything but sweets.  Jello ice cream cupcakes etc,  he refuses to eat even Mac and cheese.
She was briefly in my family unit and I was willing to research to help. I think she has just allowed him to rule her home and he is spoiled. It makes me mad she is blaming on a disorder that many families really deal with.
He is now in softball and if he really has aspergers would this not be very challenging? Have many of the readers done sports? Was it something you enjoyed or was it hard work to deal with a team? I am curious and would really like to hear your stories
Any ideas from the readers would help. She has just given birth to my grandson and I am concerned for his raising.  She has refused to let us see him and it is killing me. But in the long run I don't want to cause trouble for them so I stand back.
I have talked to several families who have worked very hard to provide normalcy for family members with aspergers I know it can be done. Normal diet and even a gluten and dairy free diet help these families.  She tells me her dr said this is his diet.

Any comments will be appreciated.