Asperger's Syndrome Community
Having a baby?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Having a baby?

My boyfriend has Aspergers and i was wondering if we had a baby what the likelyhood would be of him/her having it too?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
347888_tn?1239903054
Pretty high likelyhood.  They wouldn't be exactly the same, but the child would probably be on the spectrum (which means they may only have some symptoms that would not qualify them to be diagnosed as Aspie).  My husband is Aspie, has 5 kids (2 different Moms), and they are all on the spectrum.
Blank
its heriditary, my oldest has it, but my youngest shows no sign of learning disibilities
not sure how or why one has it and one is totally fine, maybe some genetic research could help you guys decide, and please keep in mind that having aspers is not a dealth sentence, my son and i are both happy people, for the most part are struggles take place more so in the class room then society
good luck to you both
Blank
It is heriditary but it is unlikely, just because someone in the family has a mental health disorder does not mean it will continue. I have seen it continue but it does alway's skip directly to the next generation sometime's it can go to your grandchild. It is true it is possible but it should not be a reason to consider not having a child because there is enough help now to have it helped while there young as long as you love your child and bring it up with love and support that is all that should matter
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asperger's Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank