Asperger's Syndrome Community
Husband left

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Husband left

My husband of 23 years who has mild Aspergers, left me one Sunday, no warning.  He said he had to get away, I think he got depression, he couldn't get on with our teenagers, he wanted a "second chance at happiness "  ?.

He left four kids, he lives a lonely life, drinking he used to abstain for up to four years a time, he is a binge drinker and has been admitted to hospital with injuries,  and he is now trying to find a younger woman. (now i am in good shape LOL)

It is very cruel, after much pleading on my part, i got him to come to counseling with me, he was so rude and aggressive to the counselor.  HE has talked about himself for 18 months, never asking for the kids.  The days, turn into weeks, and into months.

He said he "acted' like he cared, he never got the whole bonding thing, I have four great well balanced kids, I don't know what to believe, he told me he loved me ever day and i was very happy.  Should i forget him and are my kids better off to forget?

He never thinks to send an email even, it has been heartbreaking to watch, the kids, trying to let go.  they had a Dad, god when they were young he would play with them for hours.

He turned his back, in a moment
I'm sorry for what you are going through. I really have no experience with Aspie adults. I know bonding and emotional connections can be hard for autistic people but for him to be so abrupt seems odd. Perhaps this is some sort of mid-life crises. I hope someone else can give you better advice.
Like you I was sad to read this comment although it is two years ago. I do understand as I have a very similar experience but my husband had actually met another woman. He lives with her now and I am totally shut out emotionally. The experience of being shut out emotionally by a husband with Aperger's is common and very painful. Sometimes they leave and sometimes they stay but the it is the same thing.