Asperger's Syndrome Community
Is my little girl just quirky or could there be something wrong?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

My daughter is almost 5 and struggling in kindergarten. She is extremely bright, has a excellent vocabulary for her age. She spoke early, is very creative, has an awesome memory for certain things (people, places, events) but she is having problems with learning things like her alphabet, numbers and rhyming. She is also struggling with her fine and gross motor skills. Her teacher says she gets lost in the classroom sometimes and gets very confused with the classroom routine. She is friendly and social but is having trouble connecting with her peers and making friends. I am sure the fact that she goes into tangents about things, goes off topic a lot, and breaks into song on occasion does not help.  I have also noticed over the past year or so that she has been exhibiting some odd behaviors: hair sucking, hand licking, sniffing things. She is a happy little girl and has a huge imagination, so much so she often has trouble distinguishing her own thoughts from reality. The counselor at school just thinks she is young. She thinks there are concerns but she is not behind enough on any one thing that would raise major red flags at this point.  I love that my little girl has always been unique. She sees the world a bit different and there is nothing wrong with that but my gut keeps telling me something is off. Am I overreacting?
It sounds like Asperger's to me for sure.  I don't think you are overreacting.  Is she getting what she needs at school?  Now is the time to get a child study so an IEP can be in place for her school years.  Do you have a good developmental pediatrician?  They can help you get testing and other things in place.  Your daughter sounds awesome!  All the best :)
No you are mommy and mommies usually have a better insight to their kids then anyone else. That being said, it does sound a lot like aspergers. My mom noticed something was off with my sister in kindergarten as well, her first exposure to other kids socially. It was awhile before anyone listened to my my mom, but the aspergers diagnoses wasn't common or known back then. (my sister is 31 now) even though she didn't get a correct diagnoses till college my moms intervention helped because she received a lot of counseling and training to help her to deal with people and her surroundings. there are different degrees, and my sister is high functioning, very very smart, but did need some help with socialization and concentrating on just one sound or event, until she got the hang of that she did have some nervousgestation ticks that progressed to major tantrums because of her frustration. If you feel your child needs help, then stick with it- don't let anyone sidetrack you! The earlier she gets help the better off she week be, whether it is aspergers our she just needs a little help :)
She is very young, and nothing that you mention invites alarm. Having said that, I would pursue an evaluation with a Developmental Pediatrician. Contingent on the findings from that assessment, a second evaluation with a pediatric Behavioral Health clinician would be prudent as well.