Asperger's Syndrome Community
Is this Aspergers

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Is this Aspergers

Hello, My name is Jessica and I am writing about my soon to be 3 year old daughter. We have been having alot of behavioral issues with her lately. She has shown some issues that leads me in the direction of Aspergers Syndrome. I need some advice. It all started at around 18 months of age. She started to have night terrors. Gradually they started to subside but her tantrums started. She would have major tantrums with head banging. We just assumed that it was the typical terrible two's. From there on they started to get worse and worse. I had a therapist that worked with my other child she that she thought it could be sensory issues, to get her an evaluation with First Steps. Over the next few months her tantrums started to get very bad. She would fixate on things and hold on to them. For example, a water fountain in front of her daycare, she screamed for it for 3 hours until she fell asleep then woke up still thinking of it and screaming again. She got turned down for being too smart. The only issue they saw was that she did score low in social areas but it wasnt enough to place her in the program.
I have noticed other weird things she does too. She can be set off  for the most dumb things. Like me cooking her chicken nuggets on the stove instead of the microwave. Chicken nuggets is all she will eat. She also has some ocd like issues. She has been seen lining up crayons, blocks around the coffee table, and rolls her playdoh up in little balls and lines it up and says it's her snake. She talks about snakes alot. She also has gotten very upset for the lights being on or off. Anything that changes her routine makes her tantrum. She can have many in a day. She is known to be hostile. She told the doctor she wanted to hurt her and she has also said she wants to throw the phone or a plate. She has hit me, and is very mean to her sisters. She doesn't know how to share at all. She shares a room with her sister's and she tells them to get out of her house. She also talks very well for her age. She talks adult like, and some times very formal. She says something like instead of " I see spongebob", she says thats spongebob I see. She says One Second , and thats enough. Also she repeats what you said alot. When she's tantruming she repeats the last thing you said or why shes mad over and over  again. She can also repeat a whole show that she watched to. All she does for fun is draw. She is also a very good artist for her age. She drew a man and was putting hair on him and said it was his snake hair. She also continuously draws circles. At school they have few problems with her besides seperation anxiety and that she likes the teachers. She does better with older kids than her own age. They say she's a loner. Otherwise she has good eye contact.
Wow, sounds like you have your hands full. I do see a lot of signs of sensory issues. Possibly something on the autism spectrum. Has she been evaluated by a psychologist? If not, I would start there.
Hi, just adding that my son has sensory integration disorder and was diagnosed at 4 by an occupational therapist.  That is who evaluates for sensory and treats for it.  The regulation/modulation piece of sensory is tough as a child is unable to self soothe or calm themselves.  We had to put strategies to do so in place.  Being inflexible is something a sensory kid does a sit helps them control their environment.  Food issues are common with sensory due to motor planning (by the way, how's her fine motor) or tactile defensiveness (doesn't like textures in food----  usually clothes are an issue as well like tags bothering them). Visual issues such as lights on and off could also be related to sensory.

The speech patterns  you speak of do not sound very sensory though and I'm thrown off by the First Steps person saying she is too smart to be included in the program.  Both sensory kids and aspergers kids are usually pretty high on the cognitive scale (my boy has always done better than his peers academically and has no issues with intelligence).  I would consider researching sensory integration disorder and aspergers further to arm yourself with information and seeing a psychologist or occupational therapist.  Also at age 3, a child can be evaluated by your local public school system for their early intervention preschool program (free!).  Good luck----------  it is tricky stuff figuring it all out.  
She has went through a stage where she said her blue jeans hurts her and her pacifer hurt her mouth too. She is also a bouncy child. She puts her arms around herself and stands on the edge of the couch and falls back. It scares me to death.She will hardly eat anything but chicken nuggets, cheese, crackers, and loves chocolate. Have to hide all candy away from her. She doesn't like brushing her teeth, hair or take a bath. You have to force her.
She is waiting for an appointment at the weisskoff center in louisville to be evaluated. It takes 6 to 8 months for an appointment. Also I forgot to add that she also picks her face. She picks until she makes a sore. She usually does it when she's stressed or sleepy.
Do you think its sounds like sensory or aspergers I have read a few books and she shows all the signs of aspergers except the eye contact and she looks at me fine, I guess she dont have a  problem with it. Socially she does play sometimes with other kids but likes older kids better I think. I believe her fine motor is fine. She does still wants to eat with her fingers though. And when she runs she has a odd way she holds one of her arms down by her side.
Since she has good eye contact, plays with other children and has good motor skills, I don't think it's Aspergers. I'm guessing I would guess it's a sensory disorder.
I would try to get an occupational therapist that specializes in sensory integration to evaluate your child as well as a speech therapist.  I'd also make sure you get a speech evaluation as well to cover these speech issues.  I will tell you that with occupational therapy and the things we do at home, my son is doing extremely well so have hope.  Even a slight issue can make things hard for a child.  If you need any ideas for sensory play or oral motor exercises------  let me know.  They will probably do some "brushing" with her but as she likes jeans--------  you can start with some "deep pressure" at home.  Have her lay face down on the floor and take a couch cushion and gently presson her.  Place another on top of that and tell her you are making a sandwich.  She will probably love this.  You can have her lay on her belly on the ground and roll a large exercise ball over her---------  we call that steam roller.  My son loves both of those.  

Good luck and I have lots of ideas to offer if you need any.  
I have a son who is 7 years old. He is exactly like your daughter. Amazing really. I am struggling with what to do with this and how to fix this "problem". Our daily life is total nightmares all of the time. He won't tie his shoes or even try for that matter, however, he is obsessed with ropes, strings, cords. He carries around with him a couple of flag football belts we bought a few years back were ever he goes. He is very kept to himself, very clumsy, LOVES older kids, has to have socks with the green strip on the toes. He freaks out if he doesn't have those ones. Temper Tantrums galore everyday. He wears his clothes backwards, shoes on the wrong feet. Almost everyday. His handwriting isn't that great and he doesnt know how to express his feelings at all. He too liked to line things up as well. I had a line of dinosaurs and trucks through out my entire house one time and if I knocked one over on accident he would go off for so long. No just placing it back. He is still like that to this day. He was 4 then. He uses all the ropes to make booby traps. Or that it is his spy gear. And he HAS to have it in one order or else...Tantrum for 15 fifteen minutes. When you get your daughter seen I would really be interested in hearing what they said. When you made an appointment did you ask for an occupational therapist to see her? I have been so lost and alone here. I just found this site tonight. I am so relieved that someone is going through the same exact thing I am. That means my son is not alone .. that we are not alone. Thank you.  Just to let you know..I am heading more for Aspergers Syndrome. Thought I would let you know. THere is a video on YouTube of a little boy with AS and he talks about himself. I find it to he helpful anyway.
You are sharing unusual behavior and First Steps may be a good starting point, but I would look into other places to have her evaluated by.  Some of the things sound like it could be autistic like as well as the sensory.

My daughter had strange things she would say like...kill the man (happened at a restaurant and she was referring to her dad while saying it to the cook). She would talk about the "war-hoos" in her room at night.  She wasn't diagnosed as being PDD-NOS until 6 by a team of specialists, but before then she had other things mentioned starting with significant developmental delay, and hyperactivity came into it as she was always on the go.  She seemed to have purpose to her actions which was why my Mother-in-law didn't believe that she was cognitively impaired.

I guess I learned through all the differing opinions initially to focus on helping her the best I could and be open to what was really going on and that others only got glimpses of what I had to deal with day after day.

She had lots of sensory issues but no one ever put her in that category alone.  She got attached to objects also like her little kermit the frog sticker where she had to have it with her or would get upset, dome shaped verntilators on top of buildings which spun, and the smelly things like moth balls in bathrooms (she would try take them out).  The insects came & stayed from 4 yrs. of age on.

So...bottom line is you are the Mom with the intuition.  I take it you are reading up on the subjects and reading to become aware of similarities.  You are open to changes that may occur but it what you do with your daughter that will matter.

Higher functioning autistics in the past slipped through the cracks.  There is much more information now than before and professionals can monitor behavioral changes, do re-evaluations, etc. Keeping a record of what you see is important I think because of the questions that come up on your end as well as the professionals when they want to know more.  It is good to find out what others see (sitters, teachers, etc.) for their perspectives & write that down also.

Hi, this sounds so much like my little girl. She was evaluated by the school system and I was told that she is very bright.  She is now being seen by a neurologist to check for any genetic issues and a psychologist who specializes in Autism.
It definitely sounds like it could be. I would start at the pediatricians office. Discuss your concerns and request a referral for a Developemental Assessment. Aspergers can be identified early on, but, may not be diagnosed until second grade. You should however be able to get therapy without the diagnosis.
Hm. The organized play screams (no pun intended) Asperger's... as do the obsessions with things like snakes. My son used to line things up in play too... line em up, put em back. Freaked out about storms, too focused on things like transportation and volcanoes. Also not wanting to do anything other than what they're doing right now- issues with change and transition. Eye contact is just ONE of many indicators of spectral disorders. I would, however, lean toward High Functioning autism or PDD-NOS. While there are Asperger traits mentioned, it sounds a wee bit extreme. Please go to your school district''s "Child Find" program and seek an evaluation. A psychologist? No. See a psychiatrist or a developmental pediatrician. You can review the prereqs for being diagnosed on the spectrum by googling "DSM-IV". My son is now 7, was diagnosed as Asperger's at three and has concordant ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder. They all tend to run together. He is now mainstream but we started OT, PT and speech therapy right away and continue now with just OT and Speech (for social issues. He's beyond verbal). With the OT he tolerates foods and smells and textures (but I still spend a fortune on comfortable underwear and socks that feel good and so on), the PT for coordination and balance and self-awareness and the speech for social stories and peer relations. No matter what, please keep on this. It is not at all typical and you are right to keep going regardless of what you're told. I was also told there was no WAY my son was autistic. I knew better, and so do you.