Asperger's Syndrome Community
Is this really Asperger's?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Is this really Asperger's?

Hello, I'm sixteen years old and I was diagnosed with aspergers four years ago. It's quite nerve racking and took me a long time to post this question. However, I showed no symptoms of aspergers until I was nine years old. Before then I had always been shy, but would adjust with time. I had friends and was a socially normal person other than this. When I was nine I was taken away from my mother by my grandmother and father, because my mother had some problems, and moved to another state. I still see her alot and we have a close relationship. Within that first year I developed all the symptoms of aspergers. Now I have a large problem when it comes to socializing with my peers and even my parents and siblings. I've read that asperger's is a genetic condition, and that is noticed sometime during the child's first years at school. If this is true, could I really asperger's or is this the result of that traumatic experience?
ok aspergers isn't totaly a genetic condition, can genentics cuase it yes, but thats like saying your totaly the sum of your blueprint which just isn't true. There's a very famous person in the autism comunity called Temple Grandin who was so far on the autims scale that it was generally assumed that she would never amount to anything. Now she's very successful and digonssis wise she's "raised" herself out of the catagory she was in.
Aspergers is about behavior and thinking, both of which are possible to change.

There's not much I can say to the truma part, I know my aspergers is a result of my genetics. Behavior wise though if you think your aspergers is a result of trama its possible, there are some things that look like aspergers that aren't. Just remember a lot of digonssis is about "symptoms" if you can modifiy them youself by treating what you feel is the problem then good for you.

The thinking part of Aspergers though I can comment on. I would suggest looking up www.bcia.org and finding a Neurofeedback specialist that can do a QEEG. Basicly it looks at the electrical activity in your head and determins how your wired. Even if i haddn't had later Neurofeedback training it was worth it to have somthing hard, on a piece of paper that showed me (and I could show everyone else) this is my brain, this area here is my ADD, this is my Aspergers, and all this is all the stress its causing. instead of relying on just ive just got these symptoms and they "look like" this so that must be what ive got.

I'm guessing if you've been diagnosed with Asperger's you have already been tested and yes you do have it. If you haven't had any testing, a Psychologist is who does the testing....you can check your insurance and see if the testing is covered. OR if you are still in school, your parents can request it from the school and they have to do it for free. But get it done before you graduate...cause then they do nothing...

Stress such as trauma in your life can bring about more symptoms of Asperger's and that is probably why you were diagnosed after the trauma.
I have 2 children with Asperger's...one was diagnosed when she was about 12 and showed symptoms that I noticed from about age 4-5. My son was not diagnosed till he was 14...after his father and I divorced. I don't remember seeing many signs with him at an early age, but when he hit Jr. High the symptoms seem to come. I'm sure he probably had Asperger's from an early age...but wasn't nearly as bad as his sister.

Most children with Asperger's have an easier time socially when they are younger because much less is expected of them in those relationships. As you get older more is expected and that's when you see the symptoms more. That's why so many people aren't diagnosed till later years....many not till Jr. High.
Hope that helps
Take care.