Asperger's Syndrome Community
Lamictal and Abilify

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Lamictal and Abilify

My 12 year old son's pdoc just just recommended weaning him off Zoloft and starting Lamictal - starting at 25 mg (he has the starter pack) and his pdoc has informed me of the possible side effects.  Then in about 3 days he wants him to add 2mg of Abilify.  My son has been taking the Zoloft for 4 years for excessive crying, frustration, and anger/outbursts.  It has worked well curbing these symptoms up until just recently - the symptoms have returned- not as frequently but more severe than prior to the Zoloft (I'm sure puberty has something to do with it) so doc suggested new meds.  He has been recieving CBT from a  psychologist for over 5 years which has been helpful.

Any info you can share about these meds - especially pertaining to weight gain, sleepiness/sleeplessness, irritability or agitation, and hyperactivity?  Better to take in am or pm?  He does have trouble falling asleep.

My son experiences occasional mild tics - are either of these meds know to exacerbate tics?

Any experiences you can share about the effectiveness of these meds would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks so much!
I am also interested in the answer to this question!  
Okay...Obviously I don't know the situation, so I can't say with certainty that putting him on those meds is a really bad idea.  What I can say is that I have never seen good results with Abilify in anyone who didn't have genuine psychotic symptoms, and the side effects can be pretty nasty.  
I understand there may be reasons this doesn't work in your case, but have you considered the possibility that the fact that his meds aren't working doesn't necessarily mean it's time for stronger meds?  That all kids his age have an increase in aggression etc. and it doesn't need they need medication?  That with most kids with AS, the behaviors you say he's having "excessively" are indicative of a breakdown in communication that is probably better dealt with by actually improving his communication skills your your (and the other adults in his life) ability to communicate with him?  
Yes, Abilify can exacerbate tics.  And cause sleepiness. And weight gain.  And diabetes.  And it tends to kind of turn you into a zombie in the meantime.  Lamictal doesn't have nearly as nasty a side effect profile from a day to day perspective, but it can make all your skin fall off, and that's more common with pediatric patients.  If you must medicate him I honestly suggest yo consider a different SSRI rather than these heavier medications.  His symptoms may not have worsened past with the Zoloft can manage...SSRIs do just stop working sometimes.  
Sorry if that seemed overly harsh, but as an adult with AS who had (and has) the problems you describe...my tolerance for frustration is lower than other people's, and I cry easier, but the solution there has been for me to work on finding techniques for dealing with frustration, and to actively teach anyone I interact with regularly how to say things in a way that makes sense to me, and understand what I mean, so that there's less frustration.