Asperger's Syndrome Community
Looking for answers

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Looking for answers

Hi I think I may have as but not quite sure how to find out for sure. This has been a recent problem for me as a young adult because I'm finding myself to be much quieter and depressed mainly because I can't interact with people the way I want to, I find myself thinking or over thinking when I'm in a circle of friends and find it hard to think of something to say. My main interest is cars so I try and keep the conversation towards that topic and I feel I'm more fluent in speech when that topic arises. I would like to mention that when I'm comfortable I could talk easily but tend to keep to myself and would rather listen or say what I have to say briefly. When I'm talking to someone I find myself lookin at people's lips rather than their eyes and when I look at their eyes I tend to concentrate more on keeping eye contact rather than listening but despite that I could easily focus on both. Another thing with eye contact is I sometimes get uncomfortable so id look away briefly and look back. Considering routines, I have four particular sites I check daily and have no interest to visit anything else. Also with music for the past year or so I've only been "religiously" listening to maybe 5 songs over and over again and I listen to music ALL the time, whenever in the car or by myself that is all I do and avoid engaging in conversations. Because of this behavior I have many songs memorized only because I've listened to them SO many times. Lately I've Been feeling very depressed because I feel like I have this problem and I don't know what's wrong with me. I have a habit of biting my fingernails and when I was younger I would chew on my sleeves and collar if that means anything. My head often hurts because I tend to think way too much and sometimes would stay up for hours or entire nights just laying in bed and thinking when I'm really tired and just wanting to sleep. I am told I grind my teeth when I sleep also. I really don't know what to do but it's really making me sad and people around me tell me I'm kind of dull at times because I find it hard to express emotions. Any ideas?
hi, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you whatsoever..without sounding patronizing you seem young..and you did say you were a young adult also..im sure you will find yourself..as you seem actually really together and more open than you realise..your on here expressing how you feel so thats a start.. its not easy to open up and share your feelings like you have.. just believe in yourself.and remember the circle of friends your in must care for you,do they know how u feel?... and ye know what?..if they dont its their loss..ther a a few billion people in the world..and the world is your oyster. (pardon the dramatics lol) but never mind what anybody else thinks..find yourself..the rest will follow..good luck