Asperger's Syndrome Community
Need Help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Need Help

I think my niece exhibits some asperger's tendencies, should these be of concern: Age 3 not potty trained and will not notify when she needs to go to the bathroom, not good with eye contact when speaking to adults, does not play with other children-she plays around them not with them, awkward in clumsiness, emotional outbursts over having to get cleaned up or take off certain play outfits, inappropriate social behavior-she is the awkward kid that people stare at and go what is wrong with her, I first thought she might be ADD but now I am leaning more towards asperger's, could I be on the right track and how do I let my in-laws know something is wrong
Yes, she could have an autism spectrum disorder. It's very hard to suggest to someone that their child might be different. I was in denial for some time. I think you should gather information from the internet, and let them read through it. It might help them realize that she should be tested.
I just wanted to say that my son has a nervous system delay called sensory integration disorder.  Some kids with autism also have sensory and it can be an issue all on its own.  It might be worth looking into this as well.  My son was diagnosed at 4 and with occupational therapy and much work at home is doing fantastic!  I'm a big advocate of gathering as much information as possible.  What you describe can all be attributed to sensory as well.

Clumsiness can be motor planning problems and is one of the first things a preschool teacher noticed about my then 3 year old.  He was tripping a lot.  His social skills were impaired as well and was the kid always outside of the group.  Emotional outbursts while at preschool were also on the side of monumental as regulation/modulation is often impaired with sensory.  Happy to report----------  all of these areas and others that are affected by his sensory issues are much improved and he is doing awesome at age 6.  An occupational therapist diagnoses sensory and OT is then done to treat it.  OT is like play therapy but addresses the nervous system and behaviors of a child.  

You have to be careful with parents as they often will get quite upset.  I like the idea of softly approaching the subject.  Once she enters a preschool setting, it may become more apparent.  It will be easier to try to "help" then.  Always remember, this is some one's baby and they will go through stages in accepting if there is a problem.  In the beginning it is very hard indeed.  Much luck to you and this little girl!
Thank you for all your support and comments