Asperger's Syndrome Community
Oral fixation
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Oral fixation

Hey everyone.
So basically, for years i have been having this obsession with chewing on pillow stuffing, random i know. But its like being addicted to cigarettes, the urge to just chew on it was overwhelming at times. I also get strange urges sometimes to like.. say, lick a really dusty carpet. I dont know why.
I'm alot better with it now, but sometimes i still get a compulsion to do it. I also have a bit of an oral fixation. I chew on my fingernails, suck my fingers at times, and pull at my hair [not that i know im doing it].
A friend was talking to someone about her child's autism a while back and mentioned some of these habits - specifically, the pillow chewing.
Does anyone know if these symptoms can be diagnosed as something, maybe mild autism?
Tags: Oral, Autism
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
That alone would not bring the diagnose.  In my daughter's case, a whole team evaluated her which included testing her as she was 6 at the time to see academically, etc. where she was.

The oral fixation varies with autistic individuals. It could be paper, string, etc.

I don't know your age or if you live at home with your parents but if you are concerned that you may have a form of autism, you could talk with them or see someone on your own if you are an adult.  There are adults who have been diagnosed as being autistic, or on the autism spectrum.
Blank
I think your symptoms fall into the category of Sensory Integration Disorder, which is something found with autism, but is a separate condition also. Many, many people have a Sensory Integration "dysfunction" but no other diagnosis - no autism.

Some Occupational Therapists who treat Sensory disorders include specific treatment for oral fixations. If it bothers you a lot, you might try to find a therapist who has experience with this.

Alternatively, (and much less expensive than a special therapist) I have read that mineral imbalances, especially magnesium deficiency, can cause an urge to chew on non-food items. You could try  a calcium/magnesium supplement for a while to see if there's any change.

Enzy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asperger's Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank