Asperger's Syndrome Community
Should we try to set up pen pals/e-mail pals for our kids
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should we try to set up pen pals/e-mail pals for our kids

Would anyone else on this board be into trying to set up something to see if our kids would be interested in e-mail/pen paling anyone else's child.  A lot of our children seem to be be similar in ages - and some interests.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I could even have my husband (not me the luddite) set up a website for them.  Just an idea - my son only has a couple of real friends - I think he would like to do something like this.  They might think it is cool to have a pen pal in another part of the world or another country.  We are not looking at long 18th century letters here.
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
I don't have any children, so I can't participate, but it sounds interesting. Email addresses can't be posted publicly. They'd have to go through pm. This also takes a degree of trust in each member here.  It may be wise to set up one of those free hotmail or yahoo accounts to do the penpal-ing with. That way you protect your main account.  Adult supervision would be very important.

Blank
my son has a private profile on myspace
Blank
well, he never used it, so i do not remember his pass word and all that
as long as you monitor your kids, myspace is acceptable
Blank
637356_tn?1301928422
I am not sure whether or not my son would be able to communicate well through writing or typing but I would give it a chance and help him if he wants.
Blank
I know that my son would love to communicate with another Aspie. We were at a wedding a few weeks ago and became very excited because he saw another Aspie across the room. I said, "You can tell he is an Aspie by looking at him?" His reply was a very firm, "Yes". He went over to the young man and came back to me with a very broad smile on his face...the boy was indeed an Aspie and they thoroughly enjoyed communicating with each other.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asperger's Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...