Asperger's Syndrome Community
Smearing feces on floor, walls, and furniture

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

My 9 year old son has developed a new behavior. He has had issues with peeing and pooping in his pants but he has started to smear the poop on the walls, furniture, floors. He hides it but the smell gives it away. He doesn't seem to have remorse and continues to do it. How can I teach him appropriate bathroom edicate? I have flushable wipes always handy in bathroom and in his bedroom. I'm concerned for him bc he already has difficulty making or keeping friends, I'm afraid children are so mean that they would make fun of him, "the smelly kid".
How can I approach this matter in a positive way rather than negative? Do I need to get him in counseling? Please any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.
sometimes you need to smack your kid's ***, no matter the age! That is unacceptable behavior and you should NOT put up with it. Let your child know you mean business!
Make a social story and read it to him everyday or have him read it everyday to you, out loud, about what is acceptable procedures in the bathroom.Step by step, from the time he pulls down his pants til he washes and dries his hands. Make a picture with a red circle around it that shows no smearing (and also says no smearing poop). Tape it to the wall, somewhere where he can see it. Remind him each time he needs to use the bathroom. Inspect each time he uses the bathroom if possible (I know it's hard to know every single time he goes). Praise him when you find no smearing. Kids with Asprerger's LOVE to be praised. Many of them are pleasers. Any negetiveness will NOT work...keep it all positive! This took me a long time to figure out poop issues with my son. I finally stopped making a big deal out of what he did wrong and only praised for what he did right and he got use to the praise and now doesn't have any poop issues.

With the right attitude, this will pass! Good luck!
Holy Mother!

How on earth can you give advice that a way to handle your Autistic childs smearing behavior is to SMACK them?!

Way to making a disgrace of yourself!

How about some helpful advice like consult with a Behavior Therapist!

I joined this MedHelp only to blow you up! As if dealing with Autism isnt hard enough for parents and caregivers but then to be searching the Web for help and come across what you wrote OMG sick sick sick!!!
I'm a student begining to work in a group home with Autism spectrim looking to find techniques to work with feces smearing.....individual likes to smell
Well,  my mother smacked ALL that stuff out of me (not that I ever wanted to smear feces that I recollect), and it worked to produce a functioning, tax-paying and self-sufficient, successful, non-disability-collecting citizen. Not necessarily happy all the time or having an easy life, but definitely self-sufficent and proud of that.  I am not advocating ANYthing here, but just sayin' it can be done ... it depends on whether you can guarantee the patient  life-long babysitting after the parents are dead or too old to care for them as to whether or not you are going to allow that behavior.  My mother was of the "sink or swim" mentality.
My son is 35 now but spread feces when he was 8, and had encoparesis, but back then ADD, OCD, and all thsoe other disorders were still fairly new and the internet did not exisst. We did not get the adderall (adderrall). He had some counseling but I am here to tell you that he is still an unhappy man, unable to form relationships, rigid in his beliefs and judgements of others. If BHD works, do it.  Do something though, but "smacking" is out of the question. The root of our problem was a broken marriage, my own difficulties, no father, etc, etc.  And I am pretty sure some of it is genetic in some way, because I was "ADD" or "ODD" in the 50s and 60s.  
To the person who is adding the comments about smacking it out of them....well your mother obviously didn't teach you how to act correctly in society.  You may earn a paycheck and so forth but that doesn't mean you are a contributing to the best of society.  We are talking about children with a disability.  If you had any logic or sense what so ever you would realize that hitting or smacking isn't the solution.  I really hope you have no children of your own or take care of anything that needs any type of care.  You really are a disgrace and I guess your mother couldn't smack that out of you
no way this kid has aspies ....he is far beyon aspies...im an aspie... only thing ihave trouble with is keeping friens and getting a gf.
Feces smearing, while might be seen as a manifestation of lower or moderately functioning autism, is not a characteristic of Asperger's Syndrome and is usually a behavior which is indicative of deeper psychological issues. The child needs to see a clinical psychologist.
He may have Aspergers and Encopresis, that is fully possible.
I recently left a support group, A father openly with total entitlement feeling so put out that his 3 yr old son with autism was not potty trained, And instead of taking the proper steps to do everything in his power and his wife also, To teach ,they duck taped this poor baby's diaper on. So he could not reach in there and smear his poop.I personally think this child was showing signs of distress and perhaps taking his diaper off because he may be ready to start the process of potty training, Along with many other things like tieing  him to his high chair to restrain him from running around the house, as he is active and well they get tired , locking him into a room that the father says looks like 6 bar fights went on filthy, but it's ok to leave him in there, I was sick over this. And shocked at his need for sympathy, and parents that agree with this.I took it to group. I have a support group.nurses, therapists, moms dads police officers, grandmas, caregivers. CPS workers with disabled kids,Not one person could believe this web sight would allow him to post such things. Some times parents need a good mental smack.I tried to help, my friends I call in tried, He just went on about how he could justify this. We let him get the help he needs the hard way. Some people just should not have children, I will never go back to that web sight again, And that man should be tied up with his diaper duck taped, and left alone in a room, Just for one day,,His Handel is super Dad, yyiicckkees, Veteran mom of ASD 30 yrs.
yeah that's probably not the best course of action. If the child is merely acting out then maybe stiff discipline would be OK, but smearing feces could be an underlying sign of something more serious and smacking the kid could cause way more harm than good.
Good,lord help u.   My son age 5-6 rolled little balls and hid them in his room also, smell gave it away, high function autism.   Don't shame him, clean it up, it will pass. I tried to just make no issue of it, humiliate him, never.  I had a wood floor, if it was carpet well I guess that could get tuff,  is it n the same place he puts it, corner etc....      
Wow, some abusive parenting I'm sick of what I've read. You don't deal with autism as you do a non autistic kid, and the smack comment and Lynne, are you hackers do u have autistic kids, I'm guessing no.     My sons on gf diet, without it he explodes, I'm guessing the same smack parents wouldn't be willing to do the gf diet because its too inconvient. Don't have kids if your solution is to smack. U have major issues, wow.    
9year old has spread fecus on sofas just recently what can the cause be
I have an 11-year old, high-functioning son with autism (more in the aspie realm), ADHD, Tourette's and some OCD tendencies.  My son has recently (2 months now)  begun pooping on the floor of the bathroom and it appears as though he is also smearing it on other bathroom surfaces.  He stopped using toilet paper and began using clothing and towels to wipe himself.  I have always had wipes for him in the bathroom, but most of the time he will clog the toilet with an entire roll of toilet paper or wipes.  Here is what we have done:
- Took him to a pediatric G.I. doc to rule out any medical reason why this could be happening.  After lots of stool samples, blood work and even a colonoscopy/endoscopy, we found nothing wrong.  Note:  he has suffered from chronic diarrhea and constipation his whole life.  He is now on a low daily dose of Miralax to help combat this.
- Created social stories about it and go over them daily - our ABA tutor does this daily as well.
- Created a laminated bathroom "how to" list and posted next to the toilet and on the bathroom mirror.  
- Created an incentive chart to win a prize that he really wants after 2 weeks of proper bathroom etiquette.
- He must do an additional 2 pages of "summer work" (math, writing, etc.) the next day if he fails to follow the rules.
- remove the doorknob on the outer door of his bathroom since he was pooping in the sink area instead of in the inner toilet room. he can still lock that door for privacy.
- lots of love, hugs, talks and encouragement
- Clean, clean, clean with bleach sometimes several times a day
- make an emergency appointment with his psychiatrist
- pray and continue to search for answers

I feel deeply for all of you.  This just ***** plain and simple.
Smack your kids behind... what are you serious?!!... its a in- control behavior.. never hit a kid... were u hit as a child?