Asperger's Syndrome Community
Thought overload

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Thought overload

Does anyone take medication for too many thoughts?

My son is 13 and been diagnosed with Aspergers and his main problem seems to be thought overload, says he cannot concentrate on any one thing, i am stuck as to how to help him??

I find the Omega 3, 6 & 9 oil helps in general, but what exactly do you mean by 'thought overload'? Do you mean he's to many thoughts of his own at the same time or is it that he has to many memories of people talking to him in his head? The second option I'm very familiar with. It's constantly noisy even if nobody is talking and one is alone. I would call it conversation overload. Let me know more precise what the problem is and I will try to help.
However, I don't like to think of medication (drugs) as any sort of answer, we Aspies have to learn to deal - that's how we can manage life. Your son needs to learn to switch off everything, but those thought he needs for the task in hand. It's brain training.
Good Luck
Kasi
Thanks for the reply, thought overload he says too many thoughts at the same time-what happened last year, last week, yesterday, 5 mins ago and next week!

The Dr has said he may have to try Ritalin, but we did have a bit of a break through after school yesterday, last lesson was hockey and he worked really hard and said that he really pushed himself and his brain felt numb but clear, this lasted about 2 hours before it went back to overload, but lasted long enough to do a bit of homework!

He was telling me yesterday that music tends to stay repeating in his head, and sometimes random songs can be going over and over all day even if he hasn`t listened to any, he used to take his ipod to school to listen to at break as it was relaxing and calming but then the music would stay in his head after with the other constant thoughts so he feels this is making it worse so not taking it and just sitting in the classroom for peace and quiet, teachers are not happy as they think he should interact...

I have read previously people with sensory overload saying exercise helped but he also has Dyspraxia and Hypermobility so finding something he can do each morning ( he struggles to wake up in morning as it is ) is proving difficult.

Could you pinpoint the age it started for you?
It started with puberty for my son approx 18 months ago age 11 up until then he said his thinking was just fine.

Have you found anything particular that helps you?
He does take omega 3, 6 & 9 , it doesn`t seem to have made any difference, he`s been taking it about 4 years.

Kind Regards

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. So his thought overload is also a memory overload with connected thoughts, if I understand that right. I believe I always had it - since I can remember. I was not diagnosed with Aspergers until I was in my thirties. I never took medication. Your son's 'overload' sounds worse than mine, because I could concentrate on just one thing at a time and switch off the 'memory noise'. However I had to teach myself to do that.
I remember that I needed hours for homework when I started school. I guess that was because I had not 'perfected' concentration or even had no concentration at all. I had no time to do what I wanted to do because the homework took me so long and it took so long because of all the things going on in my head and regularly 'spacing out' and thinking about the memories.
Finally, I managed to remind myself every time I spaced out that I had to finish homework to be allowed to do something that I wanted to do. I was probably 13 or 14 then.
'Spacing out' still happens today and all that really helps is to concentrate on the task that needs to be done and constantly reminding myself of it.
Your son could try to keep repeating what it is he has to do - lets say chemistry homework - chemistry, chemistry, chemistry... and go from there.
All the best,
Kasi
Hi, yes i think i also had the same problem but not to the extent he has it, i will see if he could try your idea, anything is worth a go!

Thanks for replying, it amazes me how many things we have coped with ourselves that if we had known or had it picked up we could have had help with.

Kind Regards