Asperger's Syndrome Community
What could cause a 22 year old to smear?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Hi.  I work with a 22 year old male who has Asperger's who appears to have many bathroom issues - particularly with feces and smearing.  I have just gotten word from the second cleaning agency we were using that they will not clean his apt. anymore due to this.   I'm at my wits end and do not know where to go next.   Any feedback to you may have would be helpful.  Thank you!
I believe the smearing has to do with sensory issues. As far as what you can do, I really don't know. Does he see a therapist? If not, you may need to contact a behavioral therapist or occupational therapist for him.
I have been contemplating your question.
I had more questions & didn't want to bombard you with them in the post.  Is this a new behavior for him or has he done this for years? How verbal is he? How high functioning is he?

Does he wear protective garments?  I take it he goes unattended with no one to supervise him?

Is he doing this every time he goes or occasionally?  That answers makes a difference as he could be constipated or frustrated over not being able to go & this is the way he chooses to express it.  Does he seem to like his surroundings?

Does he laugh after doing it or just leaves it for others to find?

The hard part about being on our end is not knowing this young man (past history) or being around to see what is going on in his life as well as the before & after.  How others react in some cases is important as some Aspergers stim on those reactions.  Getting some attention in a bad way is better than getting no attention or releasing frustrations with environment whether living conditions, clothing, etc.

This is one of the issues that is most unpleasant to deal with because of the smell and contamination factor.  If he is lower functioning & totally unaware of what he is doing than intervention by having someone close by to re-direct could be a possibility.

I suggest that as I have a friend with a 19 yr. severely autistic son who smeared & is still in undergarments.  She believes his constipation was the culprit.  She changed his diet.

I work with an Alzheimer's man in in late 80's who if I wasn't there to assist, wouldn't make it to the pot or would step in it & get it all over or when trying to wipe would smear it.  He is totally unaware & I have to be discreet how I help as he can turn on me & see me as being in the way.  I have found ways to deal with it as I know when to back off and what kinds of things get him to laugh & keep things pleasant.  But that is through being with him day after day and working with him 6 days a week for the past 8 plus months.

Thanks for sharing and being open to input/suggestions.
i work with a 48yo deaf blind man who also has a learning dissability who smeares when he goes to the toilet (not all the time) before i started staff were alowing him to sit on the toilet in his clothes and just leave him there to smear his clothing. this resulted in the use of loads of red plastic bags and the constant washing of his clothing on a seperate run cycle. so i encouraged staff to take his clothing off him first (which he fully co-operates in) this man would rub his faeces into his skin so much, that on going back to clean him, if it wasnt for the smell, you would not think he had done anything at all, his skin would be the same colour as when he first went in. showering this person was so horribe (the truth has to be said) but now we are using his pleasure? of smearing to our advantage, in so much as we now squeeze some body wash into his hands which he smeares all over his body (even standing up to do so) whilst groaning in pleasure at the same time. there are times when hes so engrossed in the pleasure of smearing himself in the body wash that he will actually pass his faeces in the toilet and not on his body, and if he does smear, then its usually just his arms. but the body wash certainly makes it easier to shower him off, and his body doesnt smell half as bad as it did pre body wash, and of course we put the same clothes on him again when hes finished..but we are constantly trying new things with him regarding this issue