Asperger's Syndrome Community
adult son with aspergers and new issues

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

adult son with aspergers and new issues

Hi, My son is 26 years old with aspergers. He now has other issues as well and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced any of these and what they did.
He started cutting himself at age 22
He has anger outbursts. These outbursts start out as tension, He gets fidgety, then starts walking around, then he will punch something, then he starts yelling out things that dont make any sense. He yells out obsentities, and its scary to watch. If we try to calm him down it only makes it worse. These outbursts last anywhere from five minutes to 15 minutes and then he is fine again.

He never had these things happen until he was in his 20s. He is now on zoloft 100 mg a day. His phyciatrist mentioned torrets syndrome, and prescribed a med for that. I do not have the name of that in front of me at the moment but one of the possible side effects is permanent tremors in arm.

I took him to the er one day but he was not having one, I explained to the mental health team exactly what was happening and they just asked him a bunch of questions and handed me a support group paper. My son cannot work because he gets these outbursts at every job hes ever had.. His dad is going broke trying to pay the med bills, and welfare is stalling on the med assistance. We are working with a lawyer to help him get ssi, and ssd. no hearing for about a year.
My heart is breaking. I think about my son every second of every day and i am having a hard time being available to others who need me. .
PLEASE if anyone out there has ever experienced any of these symptoms please respond.!!! I just want to know if adults with aspergers get these symptoms in adulthood. or if he has seperate issues. I am so lost, his doctor just thinks its torrets. but can torrets be a part of aspergers??
My son is 19 and what you describe reminds me of my son. He had those outbursts as a child, but now that he is an adult they are back and really scary. In his case this happens when he is feeling stress or anxiety about something he doesn't think he can handle. I have punches in my wall ... 3 holes that need to be repaired. Anything I say or do just makes it worse. Last time I locked myself in the bathroom because he looked like the incredible hulk and I wasn't sure what would happen. Is your son on any medications? My son recently tapered off a med and I think this made it hard for him to cope. Recently he was prescribed Neurontin and this helps tremendously with anxiety. He actually interacts with family...and now friends so much more. It is really striking hoe it takes his social anxiety away. Neurontin was normally prescribed as an antisezure drug, but seems to work great for anxiety. Hope this helps.
It sounds like a weak impulse control, and treatments that work on intermittent explosive disorder may be checked out as a possible solution.
my husband is 32 with aspergers we have been togrther since he was 18. Alot of what you are discribing is "normal" in the daily ;life of someone with aspergers.My husband is deathly affraid of pills so we just get to have more fun on a daily basis. POne minuite he is the most kind caring person I have ever met and the next he is yelling sctreaming, rambling, on and on the same sentance ove and over. And also trying to calm him down makes it worse. I have learned to just let him finish with his fit and work on it afterwards or you wont get anywhere.when you try to calm him down he is thinking I am a grown up why is my mom telling me what to do, but at the same time the other side of him is a child.The stat has been fighting my husbands SSI and SSD for 1 1/2 years now even thiugh their psychologist has deemed him unfit to work. we have racked up 70,000 in med bills.My heart tuly goes out to you because I wear your shoes. It is even harder when you are not the parent. I have had my parents telling me to run for 16 years now, but I just love him so much.
I can tell all of you ladies a positive with as bad as his tantrums get he can always recognise love and will get phtsical with only objects and NEVER those he loves.
My 6 year old doesn't say the random things unless he is in the process of an anxiety attack he usually grabs his ears the pulls his e
hair and screams rude things or scream what is bugging him at the time, then start into repetitive phrases. This morning he started yelling about the ticking of our clock then he was OK again once in my room. It is a constant up and down every day never know what to expect.
My daughter does not do the outbursts, but the self harm started around 12 onwards, the anger is impossible. I just do not speak now and let her talk, this can go on for hours. She does repeat herself a lot. It is the complete meltdowns that she as everyday, the anxiety all the time. I have know answers, but wanted to let you know were here and you are not alone.
Was he prescribed riddlin as a child? As a child I was diagnost with ADHD but the doctor was not exactly sure. I was prescribed Ritalin. The early rat studies showed that a developing rat going through pubity will have depression as an adult. Now that I am an adult I have depression, and every person who has been diagnosed with ADHD that was prescribed Ritalin as a child that I have talked to has depression. The people who I talked to who where not prescribed Ritalin but have been diagnost with ADHD do not have depression, there are so many people now that have depression with the ADHD now that the have made it part of the disease. Now the doctors say it might be aspergers or full functioning autisim. When I was on the combination of Zoloft 20mg and adderal 20mgsr (the xr prevented me from sleeping) it worked rather well, not exactly perfect but I functioned and my communication skills increased. Now although the last bit will be of your choice and perhaps if you are in a state where it is legal but canboids that are in MJ is also shown to help with some of the asperges symptoms, now there is over 85 types that can be found in variation of weeds and other planets so just because 1 combination does not work dose no mean that there is not a combination that won't it will be a trail and error which is why you should be in a state where it is legal. Your child may not even get the traditional "stoned" effect depending on which chemicals that are found in these planets are needed, you might find combining the prescribed drug Zoloft, adderal and a type of canaboid that might work perfectly, but like I said it will be best if you are in a state where it is legal. The good thing about being able to smoke it is that you can see the effects of a tiny hit within minutes and adjust the dose accordingly, than within 6 hours it has faded so if the effects where not ideal you can drive home after 5-6 hours if not sooner. Possibly even after 4 depending on quantity. Which means if your in a MJ legal state your son might be able to drive there try something, see the effects and the next day try something else or every few hours until you find out what works. Which is a lot better than having to stay on a med for 2weeka to 6 months inorder to find out what works. So prescription can be definitely given in the correct dosage very quickly. And if you want to try another combination you can without effect your normal prescription so you could resolve back pain or other conditions to get everything perfect if needed future changes are desired. 518james