Asperger's Syndrome Community
aspergers or defiance

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

aspergers or defiance

He doesnt want to do math. He puts head down says I dont want to, I hate it. Then says I am lazy. Given 2 options to do it now or later he chooses never. Pulled out of class to be given opportunity to be taught in case he doesnt know how to do problems. He says he does know. Teacher says lets count the ones that are easy (after they are highlighted) He counts one, two, three, five (several times). Finally, with a comment about how smart we thought he was in the gifted program he decides to count appropriately. Time is up since he doesnt want to work and teacher says he will stay after school to get the work finished. He says I will do it. Teacher gives him the work folder. (6 problems). He looks at it and puts head down. Teacher says I thought you decided to get work done. He responded, " I didnt say when." Quite a game. Is it defiance or aspergers?
Tags: school
Hard to tell with what you've stated.  He would have to have other "symptoms".  You would have to have him tested to know for sure.  Some people just cannot focus on something that they are not interested in.  Good luck.
Trust me...I do this alot.
Is this a common occurance? Does this happen often? Any other different behavior?
It's a game with us. We think sarcasm is a display of intellegence. I have no idea how to stop the kid, because I can't stop myself. I also have above average intellegence. I suggest taking him to get tested. Some medications can help.
Sounds like he is stressed out. I can't say for sure it is aspergers, but I would rule out defiance for now. I don't think it is outright defiance, rather something breaking down.  I had a period of time I absolutely refused to do homework (any homework) outside of the school building.  It helped in the transition into 7th grade to have an extra study hall where I could work with teachers to help me with problems I struggled. Math was my least favorite subject. Thinking back I wasn't terrible at math per say but it took me so darn long to process it in my head and I'd get frustrated easily.

Also any timed tests caused my mind to freeze...  One of my IEP adjustments was to have more time to work on tests and if I had to, take the test outside the classroom in a separate quiet area.
Has he been tested for ADD/ADHD?