Asperger's Syndrome Community
could my son have aspergers syndrome?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

could my son have aspergers syndrome?

My son is almost 10 years old.  I have been going back and forth with deciding if I should have him evulated for aspergers syndrome.  He is diagnosed with ADHD and is taking medication and has been doing so since age 4.  He is much better on his medication than off.

I have talked to the dr. about with some other issues I have abserved like,  poor eye contact, talks in a monitone voice, has trouble reading social cues from friends and family, has trouble recognizing funny things and laughing instead he will say they are bumd.  He almost becomes obsessed with things at times for weeks or months before he finds something else.  dosent like to change routine much.  Will not wear shirts with buttons or zippers.  Hates to wear jeans as well (i have managed to get jeans on him 2 times in 9 months) only likes certain socks and underwear.  When he has to get new shoes it is extremly difficult.  He does have a few friends.  When I go to his school everyone talks to him so i believe he is well liked by others his age.  I sometimes have to tell him to say hello back when people speak to him.

He is very paticuliar about his room and his things.  Everything has its place and space.  Our house is extremely clean and well organized so I dont know if he is just doing to his room what I do to the rest of the house.  Sometimes if he walks past 2 or 3 pairs of shoes by the back door he has to stop and line them up by pairs and straight.  He has even asked for friends to be taken home when spending the noght because they are messing up his room.  He would save every piece of paper and scrap that he gets if I would let him.  He will get rid of some of his toys with encourgment.

He plays on a baseball team.  We do get a lot of enjoyment out of him.  Everyone who sees him says he is so funny (in a good way).  His MD tells me that he is just a type "A" personality and he will be OK.  Did I mention he gets good grades and reads on a 5-6th/ grade level.  so acidemically I dont have any concerns

.  He will also make a loud pitch squeal for no unknown reasons  but not at school.  He seems to do it when there is a lot of other stimulation around him like maybe he is over stimulated.  I just wonder if there is cause for me to discuss this with his Dr. again?  I am noticing these things more and I'm wondering if its because he is older and some of these things are aceptable to do when you are younger and not so much as you get older?  He also seems somewhat emotionally delayed.  If aspergers is something that may be affecting him I would know better how to deal with some of these concerns.. For now I just do with him like I wouild do with his older brother.  
What you are describing sounds like OCD more than Apsperger's but there are varying degree's... If you are concerned I would definitely ask to have him tested, which would be done through his school or by your psychologist. My son was just recently diagnosed after years of pushing for testing...he is now 10 going on 11 years old. But one thing you should know.. Most Aspie's have an extreme intelligence. Their IQ tends to be VERY high. My son read at a 12th grade level in the 3rd grade when he was tested. He masters a video game in a matter of hours...
.. I hope you are able to get the answer... it took being my son's advocate,and pushing to get him tested... He didn't meet all the "criteria" for them to actually do the testing, so they were not originally going to do the testing. My son's neurologist actually said my son's symptoms were coincidental. it wasn't till we changed neurologist that we were able to get the doctor behind us.  . Don't giveup!
Goodluck!