Asperger's Syndrome Community
help on finding if my asperger "label" is true.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

I am 14 years old, and i attend a regular private school. i was diagnosed with high functioning aspergers at the age of 6. When i turned 10, i started being more self conscious of being an asperger child. i never have thought of having poor social skills, and am certainly not bad at athletic activities; i never have been, and have usually been the all star of most of the teams i play on. i am considered the comedian at my school due to my very cynical and sarcastic humor; most of my jokes are sarcastic. which btw is a total contradiction to some of the symptoms of aspergers. i am a very good at expressing sarcasm, and golden at expressing humor. i do not have a lot of trouble with socializing with kids, i mean yes even i notice i can be socially awkward at times, but i have always been an outgoing person. i have lived with this crutch for years. i have never had the courage to bring this up with my parents, because i believe they will think me a fool.
when i confront them about this, i would like to have many points i can bring up with them, and ways to help me or atleast humor my request.
by the information above, if you have experience of course being around apserger children tell me your thoughts, and suggest methods or professional help i can see to see if i check out with aspergers.
thankyou.

The thing is Aspergers can influence you in different ways to what is typically written about it. We are all very, very different and few fit the book exactly. I, like you, have high functioning Aspergers. Humor can be learned and so can sarcasm. And yes we can learn it to a "professional level". So question is did you always understand humor and sarcasm? Do people often tell you you are overdoing it - do you make jokes that hurt others without noticing that they could?
Also, I would suggest that you look into why you were diagnosed with Aspergers in the first place, if you haven't already done that. Check out what caused your parents or whoever to have you evaluated.
Well and keep in mind that if you get on alright, what does it really matter in the end if you are very mildly autistic and a little different or just typically developed and "boring normal".  :-))
Good Luck
I have aspergers and I have a sense of humour. I love comedy shows on tv, even comedy skit shows. I also make sarcastic comments sometimes, although people dont always get that I am being sarcastic. Occassionly I make other jokes which seem funny to me but I get no reaction from other people, sometimes because it doesnt seem funny to them, other times because they do not even realise I am telling a joke. But I definatley enjoy other peoples humour both on tv, the movies or in real life.

I also have no problems with metaphors. In fact I enjoy pretending to take metaphors literally as a joke, which other people dont seem to be into as much as me. I even know some German metaphors. I was born in Germany but I am better at English.

It is really true that not everyone has Aspergers the way it is described in the media. I am  non-typical in other things as well eg I am hopeless at maths and not that good with computers. By now you are probarly wondering "what do I have that is typical of aspergers?" If I went into that this message would just get too long.

Hope this helps.