Asperger's Syndrome Community
how to manage a life, living with an adult child showing the characteri...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

how to manage a life, living with an adult child showing the characteristics of aspergers syndrome

I have joined the forum to share ideas with similar situation. We have a son who is about thirty who shows some characteristics of aspergers syndrome.
After leaving school with a few A levels and a number of GCSEs he joined a degree course. He was living in university accommodation. He was lacking in social skills and is still the same..Back in those days I and my wife both were at work as academics..The first few years were not too bad. He did participate in extamural activities. Later on however we began to notice that things were not quite all right.
    Later on he changed the course to another related area. He started with some interest but later on things did not work out as desired. In the mean time after my retirement we bought a property near the university. He moved in to live with us. During this time he joined another part time degree course. Later on he left the second course and changed his status to a full time student to finish off the third course.
All this time since his childhood we were aware of his not being able to interpret various body language, being too long winded in conversation,being too elaborate in organising, not knowing when to stop etc. I was looking up in the internet to find some answers. I was not surprised to see that he needs to be tested for aspergers syndrome. Although I am not too sure being diagnosed might have a detrimental ( labelled) effect. Besides he would not quite agree to it as he thinks that  aspergers.syndrome is only for Newtons and Einsteins, as he has by now lost most of his self confidence.
  I am not so sure if he will end up with a degree or not.By now we both are retired. In the mean time he has lost a major chunk of his life without any experience to get into the job market. He had so much in him: his interest in music,literature, current affairs and science.
Is there any hope? Any medical treatment to put things right? Please someone help.
Hello, I just joined this community today. I am not sure if I can be of any help to you or not. I am not a professional nor do I have much knowledge of this subject. I can only say that for several years my family and I are positive my 41  year old brother has Aspergers. I joined in hopes of some guidenace and possible some people who are able to relate to what myself and my family feel. I read another post here today from a woman who i think lived in the UK (i live in california) it sounded like there was a service that would assist people in obtaining jobs and such. In your post it sounds like you wondered about your sons potentail with getting a job. if i can locate the post i read earlier i will copy the titke here for you later. The service she was talking about  included a job placement where they would speak w the potential employer about your sons strengths and weaknesses intrests and skills. My brother works in accounting. he has a very hard time finding a job, he is also very unmotivated in searching for one and refuses to even consider one that does not pay at least x amount. when he does get a job, he tends to get fired within the first 3 months... he just got a job a month ago so we are all hoping he will be able to keep it
Where are everybody? All this time I have been expecting someone might have read my post.
Yes I read it. unfortunatey, I am no expert. But all the best my prayers are with you.