Asperger's Syndrome Community
no pain
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

no pain

My son is 7.4 years old and has Aspergers. He seems to feel little pain and i wonder if that is common with children on the Autism Spectrum? Right now he has an ear infection so bad the Dr said his ear drum may burst, He only complained once last night that it hurt.  Can anyone shed some light as i'm afraid he may really hurt him self one day and will not complain of pain.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
My parents used to have that complaint about me, but not anymore. Over the years I must have somhow found out how to express pain and complain about it.

I doubt he isn't feeling the pain, but I think rather he isn't expressing it outwardly or complaining.
Blank
My Aspie son has a high tolerance to pain too!   He can fall on the cement and scrape up his hands and legs and get up and walk away.  However, while watching tv with his friends, he did cry when they laughed at Spongebob.  He threatened to turn off the tv if they did it again!!
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
I don't know why this is but when I get hurt I don't feel like letting the world know I am in pain. As an adult I can relate the sensation to being "embarrassment". or "shame" of some sort. I may gasp if it is really painful, otherwise I just try to walk away like nothing happened. If I bump my head it really hurts, but I don't like letting people know I hurt my head. If anyone witnessed me bumping my head, they may think I felt no pain.

I can grumble about stubbing my toe if it happens to be especially painful, sometimes... Things like headaches, I tend to complain about if they are bothersome. But then again maybe that may be because I've learned to adapt to the concept that people nearby need to know when you hurt yourself...

I can't speak for other autistics, but for me I feel better sometimes if I just suffer temporary pain like bumps, etc alone. If I think it is something serious I know to get attention. (hmm, maybe I can ask a question about this on wrong planet and see what consensus I get)
Blank
367831_tn?1284262544
From what I have seen, It's certainly not uncommon.  I have no hard evidence, just my observations.  Maybe no pain or lack of expression.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asperger's Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank