Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
AIr Purifier Effectiveness

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

AIr Purifier Effectiveness

I hope its OK to post a question similar to one I posted in "forums" section.  I am interested in an expert opinion,

Can you please characterize the effectiveness of air cleaners in reducing asthma symptoms?  Over the last few years (I am 54) my asthma symptoms have lessened, but I still sometimes wake up wheezing at night.  This only happens in winter.  I suspect that in the other three seasons, the fact that I keep windows at least partially open contributes to the dissipation of allergens (in my case, dust mites and / or my dog).

I understand that it is entirely possible that while air cleaners can contribute to reduction in symptoms, the use of an air cleaner alone (i.e. without taking other measures) may not provide benefit.  If air purifiers can at least offer the possibility of symptom reduction, I am willling to spend a reasonable amount of money (say up to $ 500?), realizing and accepting the risk that symptoms will not improve.  Can you recommend a particular "technology" of air purifier?
I has been sometime since I have had personal experience with Air Filters/Purifiers, but here is a link to a very comprehensive report on air purifiers from an authoritative source, published July 2011.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21773748

Good luck
Thanks for the link.  I read the article - very helpful.  Thanks again.