Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Advice about my sons asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Advice about my sons asthma

Hello all.

I'm a bit daunted posting here as I haven't used anything like this before but here goes *gulp

I've got a few questions but please bare with me.

My son is 12 and has had asthma for the last 9 years.  He is prescribed a Ventolin Evohaler (2doses twice daily) - which we haven't needed to use for around 4 months, Serevent Evo (2doses twice daily) and Beclometasone 100mcg (5doses twice daily).

Over the past 2 weeks we have kept a peak flow diary and the morning average each day is around 205 and the evening 250 (it does vary by 10 or so each day but not much).

- Do you think his asthma is under control?

Also, he is very active and is a member of the school sports team :) but every now and then , usually after a viral upper respiratory tract infection, he does need have a dose of oral prednisolone.

- What do you think could be tiggering his asthma?

Last query (I promise lol), is there any general advice for using his beclometasone inhaler?

Thanks for any help :)
In order to comment on the normality (or not) of your son’s peak flows, it would be necessary to know his height.  I can’t tell from the information provided, if his asthma is under control but would venture a guess, based on his being “very active and a member of the school sports team” that his asthma is reasonable well controlled.

Sorry but it is not within my power to comment on whether his asthma is or is not under control.  His treating doctor would be the best person to answer that question.

Likewise, I cannot  guess what is “triggering his asthma” but his doctor, with a careful history regarding his environment (home and school) and the circumstances under which his asthma worsens should be able to speculate on his triggers.  My advice would be to avoid complete reliance on medication and give equal consideration to his environmental exposures and adequacy of environmental control.

Good luck