Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergic reaction to meds?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergic reaction to meds?

Hi, I was diagnosed with a sinus infection a few weeks ago and prescribed a z-pack, which I took with no issues. I am still feeling the symptoms in my sinuses so I went to the Dr last week and was prescribed Amoxicillin. About 20 mins after taking it I had this strange sensation on my lip...like a tingling/itching feeling and became itchy all over. I called the Dr and she prescribed Clarithromycin.  I didn't want to take it right away, just in case I had a similar reaction. A few days later I took one pill and noticed that I was itching again...so I stopped taking that as well. I haven't taken another one and I am still itchy..no rashes or hives though. It has been over 48 hours since I took that one dose of the Clarithromycin and now I am wondering if it was caused by that at all. Maybe its just the fact that my skin is dry due to the weather. I do have pretty significant anxiety at times and I don't know if maybe I am just more aware of being itchy or if my anxiety could somehow be causing it.  So, here's my question: Is it likely that I would still be itching 48 hours after taking one pill?  Since I had no reaction to the z-pack, is it safe to assume that I shouldnt' have any issues with Clairthromycin?  I dont' know if I am just being paranoid or if its likely that I am allergic to both meds.  Thanks.
The initial “strange sensation” on your lip and itching all over is consistent with an allergic reaction to the Amoxicillin.  Having tolerated the Z-pack well, your having a reaction to Clarithromycin would be unlikely but not impossible.  Itching 48 hours after ingestion of an antibiotic to which a person is allergic is not uncommon.  Any of these reactions could be accentuated by anxiety.

You are being cautious, not paranoid, and that is a good thing.  

This is a situation that must be sorted out by your prescribing physician, taking into consideration the time frames of the drugs taken and the appearance of your skin.  Your doctor should be able to distinguish between an allergic reaction and dry skin and also, with reevaluation, determine if additional antibiotic therapy is warranted.

Getting this sorted out, that is, determining which of any of your reactions represent allergy to a specific drug or class of drugs is very important, lest you be erroneously be labeled as allergic to drugs that might be needed to treat future infections.

Good luck
I'm still extremely itchy and its two days later. It seems like there is no chance that this could be related to the antibiotics, right?