Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergic to beer? Alcohal(alcohol)?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Allergic to beer? Alcohal(alcohol)?

I have had a reaction on my face numerous times throughout the past couple years. The first time was in 2003, I think. At first I thought that my lips were really chapped. They burned really bad, then I woke up the following morning and they were extremely swollen. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot for an allergic reaction. It's happened about 5 times since and it usually starts with the lips although they never swelled up as bad as the first time. My entire face swells, Sometimes hives or rash appears. It itches really bad. Sometimes I take benedryl even though I hate the way it makes me feel, but it doesn't always help. It usually takes a couple days to go away completely.  I do drink quite often, but it also seems like everytime I have had a reaction, I drank an excessive amount the night before. Could I be allergic to alcohal (alcohol) even though it doesn't happen everytime I drink?