Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergies or not?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergies or not?
Hi, I've had mononucleosis for about two months now. I have been recovering until now when I started getting a really painful sore throat. I do usually get allergies but I've never remembered it being painful to swallow. I haven't really been resting like I should have and I know it's stupid but I can't tell if this is just allergies or if something else is really wrong. Please help!
Your sore throat may well be yet another condition often associated with mononucleosis, but that should not be assumed.  It is entirely possible that your sore throat is unrelated to the Mono, for example a strep throat that could be related to changes in your immune system associated with the Mono.

The most important thing is to have your throat examined and cultured for Strep, without delay.

Good luck