Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergies?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergies?

I'm a 26 year old female in good health. All my adult life I've suffered with hayfever but managed to control it. Around march this year sneezing kicked in and it rapidly got worse, now we've hit October I'm struggling to put it down to my old buddy hayfever!! It almost seems like my nose has become hypersensitive; it constantly feels blocked but often leaks a watery fluid, I have at least 5 bouts of around 20 violent sneezes every day which can be triggered by anything - leaving the house or entering the house, showering or even just knocking my nose with my hands. My nose constantly itches and I feel almost permanently on the verge of sneezing. My eyes are also itchy and water to the point of me looking like I'm crying, have become quite red and I have been unable to wear my contact lenses or eye makeup for almost 6 months. Is this likely to be my allergies just getting worse? It's so much more extreme than my hayfever has ever been and I have tried all the antihistamines and combinations of them but seem to get absolutely no relief! While it's hugely annoying I have learnt to deal with it to some extent and I wouldn't say it's debilitating - just a permanent annoyance!
Your history of hay fever suggests that you are genetically predisposed to allergies.  Your springtime allergy could be to trees or grasses.  Thus any of a number of other allergic substances other than the long-time cause (natural and other) could be the cause of your symptoms.  

My assumption is that you may have become clinically allergic to other substances, that may or may not be seasonal as was your original problem.  It would be wise for you to take an inventory of  potential sources of the causes of your symptoms; for example, new work, new living quarters, the acquisition of pets or a move to a new house or apartment that might contain residual cat dander or other materials.

The best advice I can provide is to suggest that you request consultation with a Board Certified Allergist as this will require diagnostic work to try to determine what you have become allergic to and if one part of the treatment can be avoidance.  

Good luck