Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergies

I am a 37 year old female who has suffered with allergies most of my life. I also have asthma.
My allergy symptoms have been fairly common (sneezing, running nose, itchy watery eyes ect.). I have had allergy testing done and am allergic to grass and cats.
However, for the last 4 years my allergies have completely changed. Instead of the usual June to September run, my allergies now start in late August and go for about a month. My symptoms have also changed. I now have extremely itchy skin just around the outside of my lips. My lips are also red and swollen at times. Along with itchy lips the skin around the outside of my eyelids (top and bottom) are very itchy and my eyes water. The right eye waters much worse than the left.
When these symptoms are at their worst, I don't leave my home. I'm ashamed of how I look. My employer has even tried to send me home because I appeared to have pink eye. I take 40 mg of reactions a day which works well on all other allergy symptoms but not these. The allergy specialist is at a loss.  PLEASE HELP.
It is not uncommon for a person with asthma, and grass and cat allergy to develop allergies to other organic or inorganic substances over time.  It is also possible that your are inadvertently having exposure to cat dander.  That a number of your symptoms are limited to your face (lips, the skin around lips and eyes) there is a possibility that these reactions are not secondary to systemic allergy but are instead a form of contact dermatitis.  A careful review of all substances coming into contact with your face would also be advisable.

You may want to ask your allergist about this possibility and if he/she remains puzzled and you continue to be symptomatic, the two of you might wish to request a second (Allergist) opinion.

Good luck