Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergy immunology and hearing loss?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergy immunology and hearing loss?

I've been working on my fluctuating hearing loss for almost a year now, but haven't had much luck with a diagnosis or treatment. I started seeing a good ENT in December. We ran some blood tests and a MRI. The MRI came back with a pineal gland cyst, but it should not be affecting my hearing. The blood tests were all normal. He has not diagnosed my hearing loss yet, but mentioned something about allergy immunization shots when I asked about treatments as it's looking like Ménière's.

How effective is allergy immunology? Would it be worth trying? I developed an allergy to sulfa drugs Sept 2011 out of the blue. I've always been sensitive to grass and dust. In 1999 I had my allergy to Georgia pollen my second year in Atlanta. My older sister started developing rare allergies when she was in her thirties. She was diagnosed with cold urticaria along with allergies to tropical plants and numerous dyes. Given my family history, do you think it'd be worth a shot?
I am unaware of immunotherapy being an effective therapy for Meniere’s Disease, but you might want to ask your ENT if there is any evidence in the medical literature to support this treatment. Your information suggests that he is well-informed.   But, I would also mention that the most common symptom and the one usually deemed necessary to establish the diagnosis of Meniere’s, is vertigo and you have not mentioned that.

My suggestion is that you and your ENT consider arranging for a second opinion by a specialist (perhaps another ENT) with a special interest and expertise in diseases that present as yours has, such an individual likely to be found at a major clinic such as the Mayo Clinic, the Cleveland Clinic or at any number of academic medical centers (associated with a School of Medicine).  When seen in consultation, it would be most important that you present with all your recent medical records, test results, hearing test results and the MRI (itself, not just a report).

I would strongly encourage you to seek the second opinion rather than proceeding with any type of therapy, initiated at a time when a diagnosis has not been established with any degree of certainty.

Good luck