Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergy shots and nasal congestion

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergy shots and nasal congestion

I've been taking allergy shots for five months,   Allergy tests, in 2010 and in 2005, showed allergies to some molds, dust mites and ragweed, as well as cat dander and a few other things.  The tests showed moderate allergies, not severe ones, but I also have other nasal problems, due to anatomy and acid reflex, which are also being addressed.

My question concerns the fact that about the time that I started the allergy shots, in May,  I noticed that I was generating more mucus, and this has continued since.

I know it can take 6-12 months to benefit from the shots, but is it possible that the shots are worsening my symptoms in the meantime?  If so, should I just bear with it until the benefits hopefully click in?
Allergy injections can, indeed, increase symptoms.  This is not a very common process, but can occur if the material injected actually increases the immune response before it alters it!  It is like having a mini system reaction.  In some cases, your Doctor could try an antihistamine prior to and after receiving your injection to see if the response is altered.  In others, it may mean that a reduced dose of the allergy injections should be considered.  If these sugestions do not work, it may be due to totally unrelated issues.