Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergy skin test what do these results mean?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

My son had an allergy skin test done and I need some help to understand what the results really mean. The first part of the test for trees, grasses, molds, weeds and environmental allergens is easy to read 3's and 4's, however, the food allergies are written as a fraction and I don't know what to compare the numbers to. For example, peanut is listed as 11/25, egg as 11/22, wheat as 4/10, walnut 4/11, soy 2/5, shrimp 3/8 ,corn 5/10 and tomato 4/10.
Which of these readings is considered severe enough that I should restrict his diet. I have already restricted peanut and egg based on what the allergist said, but I'm wondering if I should be even more restrictive.
I am not sure.  There exist a variety of grading systems.  The fully developed reactions often show a wheal and flare.  Reactions generally regarded as indicative of clinical allergy are usually over 3 mm in wheal diameter and over 10 mm in flare diameter, which is what the fractionated results describe.

However the best approach would be for you to call the allergist’s office and pose your question to the allergist or his/her assistant.  The question about dietary restrictions should be directed to the allergist, who is in the best position to interpret and make recommendations, based on the test results.

Good luck.