Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Allergy symptoms contagious?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Allergy symptoms contagious?

Hubby had some allergy symptoms a few days ago.  He said it started as a sore throat, but switched to sneezing and runny nose a day or so later.  I've been taking my quercetin supplement almost every night because it keeps my allergy symptoms away.  Yet here I am, a few days after he started having symptoms and now I suddenly got a sore throat a few hours ago.  I know allergy symptoms aren't contagious, so this doesn't make sense.  I have read that allergy symptoms can turn one's sinuses into a breeding ground for an infection, which is contagious, but he doesn't have a fever or yellow mucous.  Specifically, my questions are:

Is this really just a coincidence?

Can we assume in the future that we are not contagious as long as there is no fever or yellow mucous?

Do I have it right that allergy symptoms, if left untreated (or sometimes despite treatment), can turn into a sinus infection?

Is a sinus infection not contagious?

Thanks!
The scenario you describe suggests that either you and your hubby have the same allergies or, more likely that you acquired his respiratory infection.

You are right in your belief that active allergic disease may predispose to infection and that, in turn could be contagious for others with no allergy problems.

You should not assume in the future that you are not contagious in the absence of fever or yellow mucous.  

Sinus infections may or may not be contagious but more likely to be so when the nasal membranes are involved and/or there is significant post-nasal drip.

Good luck