Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Asthma + explosive diareah

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Asthma + explosive diareah

Hi all
My wife is an asthma sufferer though since she has started taking her inhaler (and so long as she stays away from certain flowers) she has been fine (or at worst a little wheezy, but never to the extent she was back in the day or today).

Yesterday she ran to work (8 miles, something she does every day) but was sent home as she was very short of breath, shaking and freezing cold (suddenly, she was feeling fine an hour before).  She was so bad she couldn't even stay lucid enough to wait for the bus and had to get a taxi.

When I got home she was wrapped up on the sofa and was very tired, nodding off every now and again, and she went to bed at 8 (in 10 years together I have seen her go to bed before 11... a dozen times maybe?  And I have never (literally) seen her nod off on the sofa (she's 30 and very active)).

I kept an eye on her when I came up to bed and, though her breathing was shallow a lot of the time, she wasn't wheezing and so she wasn't how she was 'the last time' when she had to sit up in bed to breath and ended up in the hospital with fluid on her lungs (plurosy?).  I half relaxed at that point.

However she did get up a few times in the night and, when I got up this morning, she had made a real mess of the toilet, real... sprayie diareah (like all over...).  Again, and maybe it's odd I know this, but she's ususally very regular and... solid.

Anyway, my question is (and apologies for the long post, I wanted to give a background), is it a case of she has some respiratory ailment and the diareah is a conincidence (perhaps due to a change in her diet due to not feeling well enough to eat), or could the two symptoms be related?  

This morning she was still very tired but responsive (just very very reluctant to get out of bed, again uncharacteristic).  I have tried to get her to go to the doctors due to her history with respiratory issues, but she is too proud to do it.  I know I'm probably worrying over nothing...
I apologize for this delayed response.  

Based on your description of events, she is very ill, sick enough that she definitely should seek medical evaluation and treatment.  Hers is a serious illness and not one to be observed at home.  What you describe has nothing to do with asthma and is strongly suggestive of serious infection, of both lungs and her intestinal track.

I hope that she has been treated and is now recovering but, if not, she should be taken to a hospital or other urgent care medical facility immediately.

Good luck