Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Bactrim DS Rash
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bactrim DS Rash

2 weeks ago I began with a bout of laryngitis. This progressed last week and I was seen Wednesday 4/25. Diagnosed now with sinusitis and throat infection. Given Septra DS (bactrim). Have taken this many years no problem. After 2nd dose Thursday morning, noticed uncomfortable feeling on my back. Changing clothes later,saw bright red sunburn-like atreaks and patches all over my back. ALso burning sensation. Also, medium size round red spots with a darker spot in middle. Called after hours nurse, at first told take benadryl, would be fine. Then it spread within 15 minutes to chest and stomach. Told then go to ER immediately. There was given IV steroids, a 6 day dos-pak of prednisolone. Have been taking that since Friday morning.  There has been improvement, but at night seems to return, which is upsetting. Friday was bad, last night less so. How long can I expect this to go on, when can I expect rash to dissipate entirely? Is this "normal" course for this type of allergic reaction? Have read some frightening things about bactrim and rashes, told in ER i was "lucky". Am also told take 50 mg benadryl daily. Background: I am 49 yr old F w/ Hashimotos Hypothyroid/ TSH currently .589. Very low ferritin (7), taking iron supplements.   Successful craniotomy 2 yrs ago meningioma. Thanks for your input.