Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Big water blisters on 3 YO daughters finger tips

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I have a 3 year old daughter who has food allergies. She is just getting over a virus of her skin called molluscum. They are healing , and I do not see any new bumps coming up.  She has eczema too. I am very puzzled over big white water filled blisters that keep forming on her finger tips. She came to me one day crying saying something hurt. She pointed to her finger tip and when I saw it, thought she must have touched something hot and it blistered up. Could not think of anything she could have touched but that is what it looked like. Later ( a few days) there was another one, and I thought it was the hand/foot/mouth that is common among children and would go away in a week or so. WELL, she keeps getting them. The past two days she has had TWO big ones on the tips of different fingers . I took her to her ped Dr. and they are puzzled, thinking maybe an allergy to something? But why just the tips of her fingers? Her skin Dr she is seeing for the molluscum thinks contact dermititis. However, he just glanced and was in a hurry. When we pop them with a sterile needle, just clear water comes out and they go away. She has been on multivitamins, immune boosters, and probiotics to try and fight off the viral molluscum virus. Could it be she is getting too much of a vitamin? Please help!  
Your daughter’s dermatologist, especially with the opportunity to visualize these lesions, would be the person best able to make the correct diagnosis.  Perhaps the first step should be to allow him to re-examine these lesions, when time constraints would not limit his exam.

You mention hand-foot and mouth disease.  That would be a reasonable consideration, especially were your daughter also to have a slight fever and vesicles on the tongue, pharynx, palate and/or lips.  It should be noted that this particular vesicular rash may complicate pre-existing eczema.  Another skin disease that might present in this fashion is Pompholyx (dyshidrosis), a condition that presents with a distinctive pattern, with symmetric vesicular hand and foot lesions.

It is extremely unlikely that these water-filled blisters are related to vitamin administration.  Once again, the dermatologist would be the best person to rule-out “immune boosters and probiotics” as an allergic cause of your daughter’s skin lesions.

If all her current doctors remain puzzled by these lesions, you might want to request a second dermatologist opinion.

Good luck.
A related discussion, fingertip blisters was started.