Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Bronchospasms-Asthma? Bronchitis?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bronchospasms-Asthma? Bronchitis?

What I have seems to be kind of a mystery and I just need to get it figured out ASAP.  This is the 3rd year in a row, around Mar or Apr it begins, where I get this dry cough that will not go away. There is a constant tickle in the back of my throat and it makes me have these horrible coughing attacks to the point where tears are running down my face and I cannot breathe.  People look at me like 'wow, you really need to go see a doctor.' Once the attack passes I seem to be ok, but it continues on all day and night (worse at night)  
The first year this happened I went to the doctor after about a month of this and he told me it was tracheal bronchitis, gave me steroids and a z-pack.  It cleared up after I finished those up and didn't come back.
The next year it came I went to the doc and he checked my blood and said there was no bacterial infection so it was most likely not bronchitis, and that it could be allergies.  He tested me for allergies and it came back that I was allergic to Kentucky Blue grass and Timothy grass.  He figured that I was having allergies and gunk was running down my throat, triggering the coughing attacks.  He gave me tussinex and told me to take allergy meds.  Both did not work whatsover.  I told him last time this happened I took the steroids and z pack and it cleared up.  He prescribed them and yet again, it stopped.
This year, I have it again.  I went to the doc yesterday morning. I tell him my situation and how this is the 3rd time.He decides to have me to the peak flow meter.  I blew 350, 350, and then 400.  He told me that for my age and height (23, 5'7") I should be blowing more near 500.  And suggested that I had "Moderate acute asthma" (pretty sure thats what he said) And that it was seasonal, so he gave me advair to take am and pm from now until June or July.  And also gave me albuteral every 3/4 hours as needed and tussin pearls (I believe) 3 times a day as needed.  Still having horrible coughing attacks..:(   Thoughts?