Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
CHEST PAIN

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

CHEST PAIN

Hi my name is Adam, I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. First a little bit of background.  I'm 18 years old. I am not over weight. The only serious medical condition I have been diagnosed with since birth has been chronic asthma. About a month ago I had my first shocking asthma attack, my inhalers weren't saving me from my attack which as you can imagine threw me into quite the panic. I was rushed the ER, they fixed me up, gave me a steroid for a week and I was back to normal. Now I'm guessing this attack was caused by an allergic reaction seeing as though my asthma had been fairly controlled. About a week and a half later, I felt a similar attack coming on... I over reacted and so did my body. I was rushed to the ER and they did the EKG, Ive done blood tests, X-Ray. It all looks fine. text book anxiety story right. Now my body has been in shock ever since. I haven't been able to snap out of this state. So the only thing I could do was wait to see my family doctor who Is really good by the way, much more involved than any ER doctor I spoke too. So at this point it only got worse, I was experiencing extreme sharp pains in my chest constantly, shortness of breath, a heavy chest. The hardest thing I've ever been through in my whole life. Its what I imagine someone who is going through a drug withdrawal to feel like. A long, long agonizing story short I finally met with my family doctor. Now he thinks acid reflux at first, that the high dosage of steroids they gave me at the ER in attempts to "calm" me down caused the reflux, which inflammed my esophagus. The high white blood cell count gave him this idea. So he put me on Ciliinium BR/ Chlordiaze and another pill reduce acids. I was still in hell for about four days(wishing for death). I started seeing results but for some reason... I wasn't happy! it was like I fell into a deep depression. [Continues]
Hello Adam,

Your description of the first attack is consistent with the diagnosis of asthma.  Having sharp pains in the chest is not with one exception to be mentioned.  Acid reflux can indeed, cause some worrisome chest pain but there are other causes of chest pain that should be considered by your doctors.  Also, it could be as simple as your having strained chest muscles, fractured ribs or cartilage, or strained some of the ligaments (in-between-the ribs) while breathing was difficult.  

Asthma is a chronic disease that waxes and wanes over time and it is possible that you are entering a time in your life when the asthma may be more difficult to control; may require more medication along with avoidance of allergens or irritants to control it.

I suggest that before you agree to the “camera down the throat”, you sit down with the lung specialist to describe what’s been going on,  ask what he/she believes (based your history and the exam) is going on and what he/she hopes to accomplish and thinks might be found on the internal examination of your lungs.

Finally, it is my impression that your recent experience has made you quite anxious.  I suggest that you discuss this with your primary care doctor and ask if he might be able to prescribe some type of medication to help calm you until the current situation is resolved.

Good luck
I knew I should be greatful for my health but I was so broken down and weak from the pain I really couldn't handle my emotions. In this emotional downward spiral my chest pain had crept back in. Not nearly as bad but I haven't felt like the same person, not once since this all began. I saw my doctor again, he thinks it could be muscle spasms. I'm going to see a specialist, they're going to stick a camera down my throat. Anyway, I'm not sure I have a specific question. I'm just not sure how to deal with all of this. Give me your thoughts. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for reading.