Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
COUGH EVERYTIME I EAT SUGAR...

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

COUGH EVERYTIME I EAT SUGAR...

EVERYTIME I EAT CHOCOLATE, GUM, ANYTHING WITH SUGAR I START COUGHING AND CHOKING LIKE CRAZY..THE ONLY THING THAT STOPS IT IS FOR EXAMPLE, IF I'M CHEWING GUM AND IT STARTS, I REMOVE THE GUM AND IT STOPS...THIS HAPPENS EVERYTIME I EAT SOMETHING WITH SUGAR FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS...WHAT DO YOU THINK IT IS???
It is unlikely, but conceivable that the sugar is causing an allergic reaction and that the reaction is accompanied by excess salivation.  Or, it could be a mechanical problem, if you have a chronically dry throat.  If you choke with any other ingested substances, solid, semi-solid or liquid, that would be a different matter and, in that case, you should have a medically supervised swallowing study

You might try avoidance of highly sugar content foods for a while and selectively seek foods sweetened by artificial sweeteners.

Good luck