Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Can Sinusitis cause dizziness and shortness of breath?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

A little background info: 23 y.o. female, in generally good health. Hx of childhood asthma, adult allergies/sinus and GAD.

I recently developed a bad case of sinusitis. I'm very congested, a lot of pressure/pain in my face, watery eyes, itchy throat, etc.  I've noticed that every now and then I feel a little dizzy and like my head is tight.  I also feel slightly short of breath and have heart palpitations.  Is this something I should be worried about or is this normal with sinus congestion.  I recently had a physical and was fine, but I am a little worried.  Thanks.
Your concern is warranted.  Yes, dizziness or lightheadedness can be brought on by a bad case of sinusitis, especially when one or both ears are also infected.  If you also have fever of greater than 100.5 Fahrenheit, you should seek medical attention as you probably have a bacterial sinusitis and will need antibiotic therapy.  Sinusitis, alone, is not ordinarily accompanied by shortness of breath or palpitations.  If the shortness of breath truly is a new symptom for you and not, for example, worsening of pre-existing asthma then that would be yet another reason for you to see a doctor.

Good luck.