Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Can chronic hives be resistant to prednisone?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I have had chronic hives for 14 months. I also have undifferentiated connective tissue disease. They are resistant to antihistamines. Hydroxychloroquine did not clear them, although it did help with other UCTD symptoms and once they took my off of the hydroxychloroquine I had an extremely bad flare up. They tried cyclosporine, but the hives were not controlled at doses I could tolerate (caused HTN). I have now been on mycophenolate mofetil for 3 weeks and taking prednisone. The prednisone dose started at 20mg/day on Jan. 18th which cleared my hives for two days. They returned and the doctors continued to increase the dose hoping to clear the hives completely before the taper. I went up to 50mg/ day for 4 days and it still did not clear the hives. I am currently on 30mg so that I am not completely miserable until next week.
Have you ever heard of hives being resistant to prednisone? I have researched this as much as possible and have found no information on prednisone being ineffective. In fact, it appears that prednisone always works?
Any info you have would be much appreciated!
Tags: hives
Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory medication.  If the inflammation is greater than the dose of prednisone, then the symptoms can persist.  This occurs in lots of inflammatory diseases from arthritis to asthma.  Sometimes, it is a matter of increasing the dose and other times of adding a different type of anti-inflammation medication.  It is not uncommon to have chronic hives as a result of UCTD.  They are a major annoyance, but not dangerous.  Your physicians are working closely with you to try to keep the underlying inflammation under control and hopefully, this will lead to control of the hives.