Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Can you be allergic to heat

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Can you be allergic to heat

My daughter who is 7 seems to swell all over especially in the face and stomach area when she is out in he sun or running or hot.  She has been tested for allergies and did not have any.  She can get a red rash on her rash but it does not go over the bridge of her nose.  We have also noticed that the veins in her chest become very noticeable.  The longer she is doing any of the above the more likely she is to get sick with fever and chest and neck and stomach pain.  All the doctors we have seen don't know what it is.  Have you ever heard of an allergy to being hot.  This has been happening for 5 years. And if you have what tests can be done?  Thanks.
Tags: allergic, heat
Your daughter's doctors might want to consider the relatively uncommon diagnosis of sunlight angioedema.  A related condition, sunlight urticaria, has been associated with another rare condition, porphyria.  Your daughter's illness doesn't suggest urticaria, commonly called hives, as itching is almost always a symptom with that.  A more general suggestion would be that any and all diseases, especially those that present with fever and abdominal pain, that are associated with photosensitivity to sunlight be considered in the differential diagnosis.  A dermatologist with sub-specialization in diseases worsened by exposure to sunlight, would be a good starting point.

Good luck.
Im not a doctor but I have a son has lots of different issues and one of them is similar to yours. When he gets hot he turns red his feet swell and he has siezures but he is epileptic though so don't worry about that part. He also has very visibly veins in his chest when hot and sometimes gets a rash. I was told by specialist that its a sensitivity to heat ( can cuase heat rash) and may be a allergic reaction to the sun. I suggest keeping her cool  as and shaded and make sure to have cold water on hand at all times. When you find a tap refill a water bottle with cold water if it got warm if you know she will get hot. Cold drinks work well to like slushy. I also sometimes put water on  my sons hat and hair allot if we are out in the sun or if theres no ac. It has helped him I hope it will help you feel at ease and your daughter. Keep cool : )
Sorry I forgot to add it might be safe to have benidryl on hand if the swelling gets to bad, and contact your doctor if your still aprehensive.
  The rash she gets is on her cheeks of her face.  The only test that always comes back with anything is her blood test that shows she has inflammation in her blood.   She did develop last year benign rolandic epilepsy but has not had any in a long time.  The fevers she gets are any where from 103 to 105.  There is no pattern to them other then she tends to get sick after being in the sun, being active and being hot.