Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Cephalexin allergy

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Cephalexin allergy

I have an apparent allergic reaction to Cephalexin; was prescribed this approx. one month ago after being diagnosed with strep throat. I am allergic to penicillin and advised the PA of this prior to being prescribed. I now have red spots all over my body and rash/tenderness on my elbows, never present prior to this. I went back to Urgent Care and was prescribed 9 days of Prednisone, 8 days ago. Red spots still present. I am quite concerned about this.
Please advise.
Thank you.
Many penicillin allergic persons are able to take drugs in the Cephalexin class (Cephalosporins) without having an allergic reaction and so the prescription of Cephalexin would not necessarily be deemed to be inappropriate by medical experts.

I sympathize with your concern.  Most, but not all, allergic reactions to this class of drugs are limited to the skin.  More severe allergic reactions rarely occur and, in this regard, the “tenderness of your elbows” is of concern.  Other symptoms of a more severe allergic reactions can include fever or chills, swelling of the tissues of the legs or face, or genital & anal itching.

The red spots are not of special concern except that they persist in the face of prednisone therapy and, in not resolving after 8 days of therapy, may be a sign of smoldering inflammation within your body.  For that reason, I suggest that you report these happenings to your doctor (not just his/her PA) and arrange to be seen by your doctor, without delay.  Keep in mind that what you have experienced is a potentially serious matter and must not be ignored or you placated over the phone.